+1

2015 Spark wont start. Just clicks...New relay and charged battery. Need Help!

First up info about my spark. Its a 2015, I bought it in 2017 with 1 minute on the display. PO bought new, but never ended up using so I'm basically the only owner.

Ski is a base model, no IBR, 60HP tuned by Racelab with the 110HP tune. I ride only Salt water as I live at the beach, flush it and rinse inside engine bay every ride, and it has about 50-55 hrs on it...Not sure because display won't light up now, part of problem I'm having.

So a few weeks ago I go to get the ski ready for warm weather, I pull the battery to charge it as I made the mistake of leaving it connected all winter. It is a Duracell battery I put in new in 2017 when I bought it and it takes a charge like normal. When reconnected the ski just clicked and nothing else, display didn't light up and nothing beeped. Just a click when you hit start and a click when you let off, the sound of the 30amp relay opening and closing.

Last year it did this after the winter and read the relay was the typical problem so I replaced it and it worked fine(2019). So I figure it must have gone bad again, so I grab one at the local store. Swap it in and after hitting the start button a handful of times the display finally reacts, a few more times it seems to work and I get it to start...one time.

One week later I go to take it out and decide to try it on the trailer before I leave and it starts clicking again, no display, no beeps nothing. I ordered 2 new relays on amazon, pull battery and charge just to be sure and no difference.

Since then I've pulled the battery cables and cleaned all the ends with a wire brush, and scraped the ground end on the block since my engine has corrosion on it from riding in salt and still it just clicks.

I've used a power probe to check connections, with a fully charged battery it reads 12.8V at all fuses, and when I get it on the terminal for the relay it reads 12.8v when I hold the start button and drops when I release it. I've also tried having a jump box hooked up just to be sure battery isn't low or anything and still can't get more than a click on the relay.

My brother has a 2014 spark with IBR and a 2019 Trixx both here that I can test parts between, but I dont know if there is much changeover being mine doesn't have IBR. So far I have verified the Relays I bought do work in his 2014 and it works like normal.

I'm at a loss now and really need some experienced help.

+1
    does anyone know if the ECU from a 2014 with IBR will swap into my 2015 without IBR? wanting to swap it out with my Brothers spark to see if it works in mine or not.

+1
    The ECU is paired with the instrument cluster, so it will not start at least, but it still might help in your trouble shooting I guess. The ECU is also 100 % physically the same for iBR and non iBR so it will fit but not sure what the programming difference will do.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP-SWE View Post
    The ECU is paired with the instrument cluster, so it will not start at least, but it still might help in your trouble shooting I guess. The ECU is also 100 % physically the same for iBR and non iBR so it will fit but not sure what the programming difference will do.
    I'm thinking I'll swap the ecu just to see if it does anything, worst case swap the display also just to see if thats my problem.
    otherwise I'm at a loss and must have bad wiring somewhere that I can't find.

+1
    The wiring of a Spark isn't overly complicated. I have the wiring diagrams as well as the complete workshop manual in PDF format, I think they have some trouble shooting procedures in it. PM me your email address in case you would like to have it.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RXP-SWE View Post
    The wiring of a Spark isn't overly complicated. I have the wiring diagrams as well as the complete workshop manual in PDF format, I think they have some trouble shooting procedures in it. PM me your email address in case you would like to have it.
    I would Love that. I'll PM you.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by brian.jh View Post
    I would Love that. I'll PM you.
    Should be in your inbox now

9. +1 by:

+1
    Just wanted to update and say I fixed my issue finally!
    The factory shop manuals really helped so thanks a lot to RXP-SWE!!

I narrowed the problem down to related to the Relay and wiring. between testing mine vs my brothers I found that one pin to the Relay was not grounded without power like it was supposed to be, when I went to remove that pin from the fuse block the wire came apart!! I repaired that plug and that was it, put it back together and now it gets power and starts!

This would be pretty tricky to find without the diagrams and checking against another ski being a few notes in the diagnostic book were actually wrong with the wrong terminals marked for how it works but I got it fixed and I'm happy now after trying to figure it out for 4 weeks!

Thread Information