Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Help: Removing the rear Supercharger bolt

I am attempting to remove my supercharger for it's rebuild. I followed the removal instructions posted on this site (authored by S. Coleman & updated by "Ferrari Steve" ) and everything went as planned...but only up to the point of actually removing the SC. Anyway, I now see why it says you need to use a box end wrench (1/4" or 8mm based on year) because there is no room for a ratchet head.

Anyway, I'm afraid I stripped the E-torx head trying to turn it. I was using the box end and it's so tight for your hands its hard to have a good feel. When I finally felt it turn (or thought so anyway), I later realized it was still tight & that I likely stripped it. All the metal was fairly cold as the ski is in an unheated garage and been sitting all winter...not sure that helped any.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. I'm not sure if I keep trying the same method it will do anything but make it worse. I know they make sockets for stripped heads but back to same issue of no room for a socket/ratchet. Unreal.

Thanks in advance for any input.

PS It's a 2013 GTR 215 if it matters

Can you post a picture of the bolt? Depending on how bad its stripped you've got a few options to get it out

I saw a special wrench in the PWCMuscle youtube video and noticed they had a special box end wrench. After a lot of googling, it appears it's a special wrench made by Seadoo. I'm going to call my dealer Monday & see if they carry it. If I'm lucky, I can still get the bolt out.

Manufacturer: SeaDoo BRP
    Manufacturer Part No: 529-035-938

Try a regular torx spanner (or what they're called in English) I have found that the OEM tool is pretty soft.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Might be quicker/easier to just dremel that bolt head off. I'd stick a shop vac in there while doing it to grab as much of the metal particles as possible.

7. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Might be quicker/easier to just dremel that bolt head off. I'd stick a shop vac in there while doing it to grab as much of the metal particles as possible.

How would I ever remove the bolt then?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Davesavvy View Post
    How would I ever remove the bolt then?

Once you dremel the bolt head off you can push out the supercharger and there will still be about 1/2" of bolt sticking out, which you can unscrew it with a vice grip or by putting 2 x nuts on it..

10. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by tiderider View Post
    Once you dremel the bolt head off you can push out the supercharger and there will still be about 1/2" of bolt sticking out, which you can unscrew it with a vice grip or by putting 2 x nuts on it..

That's a good idea!

But before I go that route, I thought of another idea. I may go up one size in the box end wrench (1/4" to 5/16") and use a little ball of Steelstick epoxy putty (or JB Weld) to push into the voids around wrench & bolt. Then let it set up and harden for a few hrs. Then see if it breaks bolt free. If it does, then hopefully I can pry the wrench off...if not, then I can dremel the handle off. Then spin out the bolt AND head of box end wrench by hand.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Davesavvy View Post
    But before I go that route, I thought of another idea. I may go up one size in the box end wrench (1/4" to 5/16") and use a little ball of Steelstick epoxy putty (or JB Weld) to push into the voids around wrench & bolt. Then let it set up and harden for a few hrs. Then see if it breaks bolt free.
    If the bolt stripped while you tried to undo it I highly doubt epoxy will have enough grip or strength to not just fall apart as soon as you twist the wrench. Don't forget that bolt most likely has thread locker on it and will fight you until its totally out.

Cut the bold head off, it will take 30 seconds tops.

13. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    If the bolt stripped while you tried to undo it I highly doubt epoxy will have enough grip or strength to not just fall apart as soon as you twist the wrench. Don't forget that bolt most likely has thread locker on it and will fight you until its totally out.

Cut the bold head off, it will take 30 seconds tops.
    I'm not ruling this out but I'd feel much better if someone chimes in and says they did this and it worked. My ski is at camp so I won't be able to look at things until next weekend. One thing is making sure my Dremel can be positioned correctly & some other engine part interfering. Hopefully not.
    Another worry is that the wheel is deep enough to get through before the mandrel hits the side of the SC. These worries may be unfounded...hopefully.

I am optimistic now thought that I have options that seem viable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information