Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Amsoil marine 10w40 vs yamalube

So this has probably been asked before, but what is the best oil to run for clutch life. I have been running amsoil in my 2016 fx svho (70 hrs) and seems fine but I have read yamalube is better for clutch longevity. I think even Dean just runs yamalube. Should I be changing my amsoil oil out going back to yamalube? Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikinsgrule View Post
    So this has probably been asked before, but what is the best oil to run for clutch life. I have been running amsoil in my 2016 fx svho (70 hrs) and seems fine but I have read yamalube is better for clutch longevity. I think even Dean just runs yamalube. Should I be changing my amsoil oil out going back to yamalube? Thanks
    If the oil is synthetic, it has friction additives in the oil that plays havoc with the clutch. Just use conventional oil and you will have no problems with the clutch.
    Take Care
    CJ

3. +1 by:

+1
    I have used Amzoil marine oil exclusively in my 2009 FZR and in my 2017 GP1800 ( 100 hrs ).....the FZR has 300 hours on it and I just put in its 3rd clutch. I have the C-3 impeller w/ HKS blow off valve etc. My uncle put 250 hours on his stock FZS before the clutch took a dump, He uses Amzoil marine...........this is a very subjective subject, so who really knows....I dont thing the Yamaha oil would ever hurt anything.......we are an Amzoil dealer so it is readily available to me, other wise I probably would use the Yamaha oil.......thats what's in it when you first start up your badass Yamaha ski.
    Last edited by txgp1300r; 04-25-2020 at 12:00 AM.

+1
    I lost my clutch on the GP at 103 hours. Ran amsoil since 23 hour service. No clue if it was something that would have extended by different oil. Have to look at it when it comes out this week, but still then don't know how I could relate this to an oil issue. Running amsoil in the VXR since its second service at 25 hours, no issues.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Saum700p View Post
    I lost my clutch on the GP at 103 hours. Ran amsoil since 23 hour service. No clue if it was something that would have extended by different oil. Have to look at it when it comes out this week, but still then don't know how I could relate this to an oil issue. Running amsoil in the VXR since its second service at 25 hours, no issues.
    Amsoil is great oil, I have used it in my Mazda 626 266300 miles. I have used it in my FX-SVHO with 182 hours, till 1 fast svho said it was not a good idea and doubled by Jerry, I have been running conventional 10-w-40 ever since.

Take Care
    CJ

+1
    Yamaha doesn't make their oil, it's bottled by a refinery somewhere and their name is put on it. Pennzoil was (perhaps still is) bottled at the Exxon refinery in Baton Rouge, LA (they want you to think that it's made from Pennsylvania oil).

That said, doesn't anybody look at the owner's manual to see what is recommended???

It will say something like API SG, SH, SJ, or SL with JASO MA, MA1 or MA2; or something like that. Look for that on the label, as well as the recommended viscosity.

+1
    Haven’t been here in a long while.

This is a very interesting and ongoing topic.

The way I see it; The supercharger “sprag” clutch works by creating friction between three metals (hub, sprag and gear), no friction no engagement you will only hurt the clutch by introducing friction modifiers in your motor oil causing the sprag to slip creating excessive amounts of heat in the process. Once the sprag overheats it’s just a matter of time before the clutch fails.

This was my experience on my 2009 FZS with a 16 pound wheel at 8,200 rpms.

I was running Valvoline VR1 Racing oil and I could only get 50 minutes to an hour in river racing conditions.

just my experience.

+1
    I’ll add my experience on switching to amsoil. My old ski was 9300+ rpm f1 wheel that ran about 88 mph- when I was fine tuning I ran conventional oil , (yamalube) and went through a few clutches within 30 or so hours-when I switched to amsoil I was told that it doesn’t have certain additives that are harmful to clutches and that it’s JASO certified for wet clutch applications etc.... well, after switching to amsoil, my clutch problems ceased. In-fact, the ski is still running strong and probably has 300+ hours on it now-not sure if it’s still on same clutch but I know before I sold it I had about 60 hours on the clutch while running amsoil.

10. +1 by:

Great info. I just switched back to yamalube last weekend just to be safe. I have about 45 hours on my 2016 fx svho running all amsoil and deans setup stage 2. I run amsoil in all my other toys and truck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Amsoil is great oil, I have used it in my Mazda 626 266300 miles. I have used it in my FX-SVHO with 182 hours, till 1 fast svho said it was not a good idea and doubled by Jerry, I have been running conventional 10-w-40 ever since.

Take Care
    CJ
    Last time I spoke to Jerry he advocated using Yamalube or Amsoil Marine on supercharged applications. If what you're saying is true then that's the first time I've ever heard him speak against using Amsoil Marine in supercharged Yamaha applications. I'd like to see him chime in on here.

I have no scientific tests or data to share, but I have ran Amsoil Marine 10W-40 exclusively in my 2013 FZR (SHO engine) since purchasing it brand new. 100+ hours mostly with an R&D C3 wheel (12-14psi, cast wheel) and 8500-8700RPM with no issues. Original clutch. I am switching to an ET18 wheel this year. We'll see how that goes on clutch life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information