Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

STX-15F randomly dies

I have a Kawasaki stx15f that randomly dies. It may run for 10 minutes or up to an hour and then shut off with no warning like the kill switch was pulled, can restart immediately and run perfectly just like it was before. it had some overheating issues at idle when I first got it from dirt or sand in one of the cooling fittings. Ski has 20 hours on it since the cooling system problem was fixed. Both before and after the cooling repair it has randomly died probably on average once every 20 minutes to 30 minutes of run time.

2006 STX15F
    120 hours
    Very clean freshwater ski from Arizona

Changed battery
    Inspected kill switch

Randomly dies like kill switch pulled
    Restarts as soon as start button is pressed
    Not sure if display is going dead as it is the kids ski, they don't recall

+1
    The older Kawasakis are well known for electrical problems. The connectors get water in them and corrode the terminals.

I'd suggest pulling all of the electrical connectors apart and doing a careful inspection of all pins. Look for blackened pins, some may even be partially missing. I've had problems with the connector in the right front portion of the hull. If there is water in the hull, the connector lays in it. I also found a terminating plug that had pin that were corroded away.

Don't forget to clean and tighten BOTH ends of the battery cables.

Does it only die at idle ? Or while on throttle. ?

+1
    Check for corrosion here:(posted before)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2060033.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	460453  

Dies with throttle on, not at idle so doubt if it is IAC.

Anyone know what sensors, if any can shut the engine down?

Possible display problem?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    If it just dies like the lanyard was pulled its not a sensor. Check the battery cables, ground points on the battery and motor, and all voltage sources. It could also be the main relay that controls the fuel pump and ecu.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    If it just dies like the lanyard was pulled its not a sensor. Check the battery cables, ground points on the battery and motor, and all voltage sources. It could also be the main relay that controls the fuel pump and ecu.

Sean
    Can be the lanyard switch itself also, if that gives intermittent content, it also dies exactly like that.

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Checked the lanyard switch.

I still need to find the end of the ground cable. Going to put a camera down there later today. The connection point is under the intake manifold correct?

Went over many connections.
    Ski has zero signs of corrosion or water intrusion. Freshwater boat.

Seems electrical\spark related as it dies instantly and completely, then can be restarted immediately.

I think I will swap the relay. If that does not work I will hook up a test LED to power energizing the relay and test ride.

Any other ideas?

I am guessing this is a failed electrical component.

This my fault. It is the only ski I have ever bought without water testing. I also told my son "STX-15F's are probably the most reliable ski ever made'.

+1
    They ARE reliable, you just have to figure out what's wrong and it will probably give years more troublefree service.

I'm with prj on the kill switch, or the orange switch. The kill switch can be tricky because the contacts sort of float between two springs. I fought one for a couple of days before I finally just bought another one.

Check both switches a number of times with a meter. I had intermittent problems with both at the same time, drove me crazy.

I agree, it should be the most reliable ski ever but I cursed myself by saying that!

Anyway, I went through and inspected quite a bit of it. Even put another set of plugs in it. Took it out and water tested for an hour plus and it did not die! So in keeping with Murphy punishing me for saying that and not water testing it, the boat decided to set the overheat warning.....damn just can't win today.

So I read through several posts. Looked through the cooling path in the manual. Then started taking apart every possible location to flush. Reverse flushed everything. Found no corrosion anywhere. Every connection flowed great even the pisser. Only restiction found was the waterbox but I am guessing that is regulated by the single hole size inside the box from what I have read.

Everything flows very well when connected to a garden hose as well.

Impeller looks OK.

It seems to just not produce enough pressure at idle. Not much coming from the pisser and steam coming from exhaust.

Everything on top of the jet pump manifold looks new, no restriction in holes or fittings.

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information