Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Ski is done today...

They said it was crazy 4ft chop but they were hitting 76-77 no problem in bursts, and it had more to go on it's top end (on the dash).
    Said "it will do 80+ no problem" again that's using the dash...

Honestly I don't even care about the speed I just want the damn thing back already....

Also the mechanic said that he couldn't load any other tunes once he loaded the first tune? That it would let him select the tune but then give it an error message.
    I thought that you get access to all of the Riva tunes, so I think I need to hit up Jesus and find out what's going on.

Also...

Can someone point me in the direction of that "air holes" post that everyone keeps referencing...
    I'm never going to be running with my seat off, so I need to put a few breathers in so that the hull can get some more air.
    Frogskinz seems to be the common cover solution but I would like a few ideas so I can do this nicely.

Thanks everyone.

If all goes well, VBox #'s and GoPro vids to follow this weekend.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SIECIKSuc View Post
    Ski is done today...

They said it was crazy 4ft chop but they were hitting 76-77 no problem in bursts, and it had more to go on it's top end (on the dash).
    Said "it will do 80+ no problem" again that's using the dash...

Honestly I don't even care about the speed I just want the damn thing back already....

Also the mechanic said that he couldn't load any other tunes once he loaded the first tune? That it would let him select the tune but then give it an error message.
    I thought that you get access to all of the Riva tunes, so I think I need to hit up Jesus and find out what's going on.

Also...

Can someone point me in the direction of that "air holes" post that everyone keeps referencing...
    I'm never going to be running with my seat off, so I need to put a few breathers in so that the hull can get some more air.
    Frogskinz seems to be the common cover solution but I would like a few ideas so I can do this nicely.

Thanks everyone.

If all goes well, VBox #'s and GoPro vids to follow this weekend.
    Send me an email with the VIN and email that hold the Maptuner account. They must had some issues, but you can select all tunes available for that VIN in the server.

jesusg@rivaracing.com

I used outerwear material and it worked great. I opened up the ski pole hole to a full 3 inches and then covered it with the outerwear material. I was doing some jumping and when I brought the ski home, it had water still sitting on the material ( just a little bit) but not soaked through.

Quote Originally Posted by guybb3 View Post
    I used outerwear material and it worked great. I opened up the ski pole hole to a full 3 inches and then covered it with the outerwear material. I was doing some jumping and when I brought the ski home, it had water still sitting on the material ( just a little bit) but not soaked through.

When you say outerwear material is that like a brand?
    If you have any links that would be super helpful!

Thank you.

Ok, sooo this is the first of a few updates that will need to come in stages...

FOR THE TL;DR Version scroll to the bottom:

Finally picked back up the ski on Friday... Not super happy with the dealer as the ski was filthy and they just put the cover back on it, and the cover was dirty as hell too like they had rolled it around on the floor of the shop before putting it back on.

Honestly I was just glad to have the ski back.

I fired it up on the trailer just to hear the exhaust and holy crap it was bad ass...
    The attention brought over another ski enthusiasts who was asking me all about what I was doing to it as he also had the same ski and was looking to have some fun with mods.
    I pointed him to this forum, and hopefully he comes and joins the ranks here and learns from you all as I have.

Halfway home a fog rolled in like something out of a Stephen King movie, it was also getting late so I really had no choice but to make fast work of boatramp to new marina slip.
    My buddy with the 1800GPR came from the marina to meet me at the slip (it's close but he was as excited as I was to see what it was like) He called me before he left though to let me know he was super sketched out and it was really really bad out there. By the time he got to me, I had everything ready and fired it up for him, he was blown away by the sound of the exhaust. In the water it's mellowed out a bit, but it still sounds like a complete savage as it bobs up and down and burbles and burps out hellish racket. He compared it to the sound of a hellcat on the water. I love it, but it is louder than I expected when riding and when idling around. That being said you can still hear the music when riding up to the point where wind takes over.

The slop in the bay was insane with crazy high winds and the fog I barely got to ride on Friday. I had filled up with Vpower 93 at a Shell on the way to make sure I had proper fuel in her.
    Sound aside the first initial ride was disappointing for sure...

The ski sounded great, and felt different in terms of power, but something was off. There was no where near the initial power at lower range compared to my buddies ski, who had the stage 1 tune (at this point my ski was supposed to have a Stage 2 + IMUK tune...

I had zero change to run the ski past 40-45 given the conditions and most of the time was completely out of the water.
    I was nervous that I would be overwinding the RPMS but they stayed low and I never saw past 8k.
    It was clear that I wasn't going to get anything done in the weather and with daylight all but gone we turned in for the day and washed everything up.

That night I checked the Maptuner X and it was in the middle of the tune loading screen when it powered on.
    It has my ski's vin, but didn't really have any other info that I could navigate around and see besides my buddies ski's info.
    It did show it had the Stage 2 + IMUK tune on it, but it seemed like it was teed up to be loaded and not actually registered as what was on my ski.

The next day at the marina I brought my laptop and tried to load up the SW to get all of the tunes available on the maptunerX that way I could play around with them.
    Like an idiot I brought my work laptop which didn't allow me to run-up new software, so I had no way to get new tunes.
    That being said, I hooked everything back up to the ski, and "loaded" the tune onto the ski. (again I guess?)
    This time I noted that when I selected the ski it said "everything okay" or something like that and showed the Tune and the vin together... I don't know if I missed that the first time around, but it seemed like It was possible that the tune was never loaded onto the ski at all in the first place maybe.

I was going to hook up the Vbox but realized I left the damn thing at home on the counter. (strike 2 for me)

Taking the ski out that day I felt more of a difference for sure. The weather was better, but still shitty chop (half as bad) I could feel the power engage harder and sooner, and experimented a bit with sport and eco and so on to see how much of a difference I could "feel". The longer I rode it, and the more I put it through it's paces the more it seemed to settle in and look to run it's legs out. It was still rough out but in the few quick shots of full throttle the ski felt to hit it's powerband harder then I remember and REALLY engage and GO towards the middle of the arc like it was ready to murder the top end. It was still unhooking as I skipped along the chop, and it was the first times I was seeing more than 8040 on the RPMs, I caught clips of 8100-8300 range bouncing mostly around 8280. Again it was in short pops where I could run it out for a few seconds from cruising to full on, but it felt hungrier at the top end than I remember. We hung out on the FI side for a while where it was bit calmer and I found a nice moment where another buddy on a older Yamaha and I got to run flat out for maybe 15 seconds. Not anything close to flat water but the best we had all day. He was considerably ahead of me at the time, and was full on and I blew past him like he was standing still, which was great but I only ever saw 76 on the dash... Again not ideal conditions that only got worse the rest of the day.

Conditions went to shit after that again as per the usual by us, and the ride back was 40-60's but the ski felt nice and planted and unlike my buddies GP1800R not skittish or flighty at all... but It also didn't feel all that more powerful at all either at the same time. Everyone we met up with mentioned how awesome the ski sounded however which made me smile.

I ran it out again the following day, but the water was just as bad. I will say though it did seem that the onslaught of power at the mid-high end of the arc came in slightly earlier on Sunday. Weather was the same in terms of water temps and air temps were a bit warmer. Overall It's been basically a single tank of Gas, in 3 days of shitty to super shitty chop, and some hiccups with the tuner and some forgetfulness with regard to vbox so this update is kinda crap. Sorry about that.

Next weekend I think the plan is to run it out to Greenport from Patchogue with the squad.
    There are some areas that are notorious for pretty consistent flat water we will be coming through, where last year I would be able to rip 78-79 on the dash consistently.
    I also will make damn sure I don't forget the Vbox, as now my Ski's Key is tied around the box.
    In the meantime I am going to be loading up the software on my devices and getting all of the tunes for the maptunerx loaded up for both skis so we have the ability to play around with them.

Overall this is going to be a work in progress... Thanks for bearing with me.
    Eventually I am going to get a chance to trailer down to MD where I was running consistent 79's (on the dash) in perfect glass flat brackish water at some point and I am going to use that as the standard since it's the most controlled environment I will get... I hope to have everything up and running and really good data points to use and understand before then and then after that as well.

More to come, stay tuned!

TL;DR -

Day 1: Ski not tuned properly I don't think, weather far to bad to even get past 40. Revs max maybe 8k coming out of the water.
    Day 2: Tune reloaded and seems to be working, weather was still sloppy/shitty hit 76 on dash max in bursts, seeing 8200-8300 ish range revs coming out of water. *at least tune is working now*
    Forgot the Vbox like a dope, ski felt better but still not as crazy as I had expected it to feel.
    Day 3: Ski is running harder and stronger but weather still shitty and sloppy. The ski seems to be setteling into the tune and seems to have power on the mid-high end of the arc more than the lower end.
    Still no real numbers, technology issue abound all weekend but working through them. Plan to do more and get more info next weekend on longer trips in better conditions (areas)

Exhaust sounds F'ing awesome (waterbox done also) Ski is LOUD but can still hear music till wind takes over at speed.
    Ski feels faster, but not as fast as I would have expected it to feel... hard to tell with conditions.
    1 tank down of 93 from Shell, Vpower - will blow through at least another tank or 2 next weekend 93 on the water at our pump.

Few unanswered questions, dose the ski need to settle into the tune? If felt better each day with more and more power each day (day 1 I honestly think had zero tune)
    how far off is the dash? I will not forget the damn vbox next weekend like an idiot so we will have more information/data

Going to check the sea strainer and catch can next weekend to see how things look, also take some photos/videos, and run it much longer in better water.
    updates will follow, sorry for all the delays and hiccups!

Also if anyone has links to the venting of the hull posts that could help me figure out where to put holes/frogskinz please advise looking to do that next, to help her breathe.
    I do not like the idea of the pylon hole as we do a lot of air time landing ass heavy and even covered I do not think there is anyway it's not an issue at some point.
    But open to lots of suggestions and open minded about it if someone can show I'm wrong

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoMite View Post
    Let's say no extra holes in the ski, are you saying the SC will see the same air temp with both the Stuby Intake and front mount Riva Intake? That is the question i'm curious about.
    No. it won’t be the same air intake temp it will be a slight difference of a few degrees. Not as much as you would think but.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Davrac View Post
    No. it won’t be the same air intake temp it will be a slight difference of a few degrees. Not as much as you would think but.
    I'll take all the few degrees lower I can get in FL

+1

Ok, sooo this is the first of a few updates that will need to come in stages...

FOR THE TL;DR Version scroll to the bottom:

Finally picked back up the ski on Friday... Not super happy with the dealer as the ski was filthy and they just put the cover back on it, and the cover was dirty as hell too like they had rolled it around on the floor of the shop before putting it back on.

Honestly I was just glad to have the ski back.

I fired it up on the trailer just to hear the exhaust and holy crap it was bad ass...
    The attention brought over another ski enthusiasts who was asking me all about what I was doing to it as he also had the same ski and was looking to have some fun with mods.
    I pointed him to this forum, and hopefully he comes and joins the ranks here and learns from you all as I have.

Halfway home a fog rolled in like something out of a Stephen King movie, it was also getting late so I really had no choice but to make fast work of boatramp to new marina slip.
    My buddy with the 1800GPR came from the marina to meet me at the slip (it's close but he was as excited as I was to see what it was like) He called me before he left though to let me know he was super sketched out and it was really really bad out there. By the time he got to me, I had everything ready and fired it up for him, he was blown away by the sound of the exhaust. In the water it's mellowed out a bit, but it still sounds like a complete savage as it bobs up and down and burbles and burps out hellish racket. He compared it to the sound of a hellcat on the water. I love it, but it is louder than I expected when riding and when idling around. That being said you can still hear the music when riding up to the point where wind takes over.

The slop in the bay was insane with crazy high winds and the fog I barely got to ride on Friday. I had filled up with Vpower 93 at a Shell on the way to make sure I had proper fuel in her.
    Sound aside the first initial ride was disappointing for sure...

The ski sounded great, and felt different in terms of power, but something was off. There was no where near the initial power at lower range compared to my buddies ski, who had the stage 1 tune (at this point my ski was supposed to have a Stage 2 + IMUK tune...

I had zero change to run the ski past 40-45 given the conditions and most of the time was completely out of the water.
    I was nervous that I would be overwinding the RPMS but they stayed low and I never saw past 8k.
    It was clear that I wasn't going to get anything done in the weather and with daylight all but gone we turned in for the day and washed everything up.

That night I checked the Maptuner X and it was in the middle of the tune loading screen when it powered on.
    It has my ski's vin, but didn't really have any other info that I could navigate around and see besides my buddies ski's info.
    It did show it had the Stage 2 + IMUK tune on it, but it seemed like it was teed up to be loaded and not actually registered as what was on my ski.

The next day at the marina I brought my laptop and tried to load up the SW to get all of the tunes available on the maptunerX that way I could play around with them.
    Like an idiot I brought my work laptop which didn't allow me to run-up new software, so I had no way to get new tunes.
    That being said, I hooked everything back up to the ski, and "loaded" the tune onto the ski. (again I guess?)
    This time I noted that when I selected the ski it said "everything okay" or something like that and showed the Tune and the vin together... I don't know if I missed that the first time around, but it seemed like It was possible that the tune was never loaded onto the ski at all in the first place maybe.

I was going to hook up the Vbox but realized I left the damn thing at home on the counter. (strike 2 for me)

Taking the ski out that day I felt more of a difference for sure. The weather was better, but still shitty chop (half as bad) I could feel the power engage harder and sooner, and experimented a bit with sport and eco and so on to see how much of a difference I could "feel". The longer I rode it, and the more I put it through it's paces the more it seemed to settle in and look to run it's legs out. It was still rough out but in the few quick shots of full throttle the ski felt to hit it's powerband harder then I remember and REALLY engage and GO towards the middle of the arc like it was ready to murder the top end. It was still unhooking as I skipped along the chop, and it was the first times I was seeing more than 8040 on the RPMs, I caught clips of 8100-8300 range bouncing mostly around 8280. Again it was in short pops where I could run it out for a few seconds from cruising to full on, but it felt hungrier at the top end than I remember. We hung out on the FI side for a while where it was bit calmer and I found a nice moment where another buddy on a older Yamaha and I got to run flat out for maybe 15 seconds. Not anything close to flat water but the best we had all day. He was considerably ahead of me at the time, and was full on and I blew past him like he was standing still, which was great but I only ever saw 76 on the dash... Again not ideal conditions that only got worse the rest of the day.

Conditions went to shit after that again as per the usual by us, and the ride back was 40-60's but the ski felt nice and planted and unlike my buddies GP1800R not skittish or flighty at all... but It also didn't feel all that more powerful at all either at the same time. Everyone we met up with mentioned how awesome the ski sounded however which made me smile.

I ran it out again the following day, but the water was just as bad. I will say though it did seem that the onslaught of power at the mid-high end of the arc came in slightly earlier on Sunday. Weather was the same in terms of water temps and air temps were a bit warmer. Overall It's been basically a single tank of Gas, in 3 days of shitty to super shitty chop, and some hiccups with the tuner and some forgetfulness with regard to vbox so this update is kinda crap. Sorry about that.

Next weekend I think the plan is to run it out to Greenport from Patchogue with the squad.
    There are some areas that are notorious for pretty consistent flat water we will be coming through, where last year I would be able to rip 78-79 on the dash consistently.
    I also will make damn sure I don't forget the Vbox, as now my Ski's Key is tied around the box.
    In the meantime I am going to be loading up the software on my devices and getting all of the tunes for the maptunerx loaded up for both skis so we have the ability to play around with them.

Overall this is going to be a work in progress... Thanks for bearing with me.
    Eventually I am going to get a chance to trailer down to MD where I was running consistent 79's (on the dash) in perfect glass flat brackish water at some point and I am going to use that as the standard since it's the most controlled environment I will get... I hope to have everything up and running and really good data points to use and understand before then and then after that as well.

More to come, stay tuned!

TL;DR -

Day 1: Ski not tuned properly I don't think, weather far to bad to even get past 40. Revs max maybe 8k coming out of the water.
    Day 2: Tune reloaded and seems to be working, weather was still sloppy/shitty hit 76 on dash max in bursts, seeing 8200-8300 ish range revs coming out of water. *at least tune is working now*
    Forgot the Vbox like a dope, ski felt better but still not as crazy as I had expected it to feel.
    Day 3: Ski is running harder and stronger but weather still shitty and sloppy. The ski seems to be setteling into the tune and seems to have power on the mid-high end of the arc more than the lower end.
    Still no real numbers, technology issue abound all weekend but working through them. Plan to do more and get more info next weekend on longer trips in better conditions (areas)

Exhaust sounds F'ing awesome (waterbox done also) Ski is LOUD but can still hear music till wind takes over at speed.
    Ski feels faster, but not as fast as I would have expected it to feel... hard to tell with conditions.
    1 tank down of 93 from Shell, Vpower - will blow through at least another tank or 2 next weekend 93 on the water at our pump.

Few unanswered questions, dose the ski need to settle into the tune? If felt better each day with more and more power each day (day 1 I honestly think had zero tune)
    how far off is the dash? I will not forget the damn vbox next weekend like an idiot so we will have more information/data

Going to check the sea strainer and catch can next weekend to see how things look, also take some photos/videos, and run it much longer in better water.
    updates will follow, sorry for all the delays and hiccups!

Also if anyone has links to the venting of the hull posts that could help me figure out where to put holes/frogskinz please advise looking to do that next, to help her breathe.
    I do not like the idea of the pylon hole as we do a lot of air time landing ass heavy and even covered I do not think there is anyway it's not an issue at some point.
    But open to lots of suggestions and open minded about it if someone can show I'm wrong
    When are you coming to MD? What part? I'd be interested in meeting up and seeing how it is if I haven't already splurged on parts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoMite View Post
    I'll take all the few degrees lower I can get in FL
    Ha ha. All testing was done in Australia over summer so looking at air temps of 40° Celsius I saw about 3° Celsius max difference within the hull with no extra venting. Water temps of 27°c and MAT/IAT of 30’s

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information