Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

+1

Coronavirus

Frankly, I'm getting awfully tired of all the attention being paid to this latest malady. Oh, yes, it can definitely be serious for a few of those that get it, but we lose tens of thousands each year from flu and nobody gives it a second thought.

That said, the temperature hit 90 here yesterday and our lake is CLOSED because of the virus! This makes no sense whatsoever!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    ... it can definitely be serious ...
    The ONLY thing that is making those 'curves' and plateau projections you see in the news possible are the drastic changes in social behaviour.

If a population continues to mingle and interact there would be no curve, no 'almost there' topping zone, just a hockey stick slope upwards, with cases and deaths rocketing higher. We may well see this happen in countries that have dense populations and extremely limited public health response.

This thing is very different from common influenza. Every country in the world is taking this thing very seriously.

Asymptomatic carriers is an insidious factor. You simply cannot tell if someone near you is infected, or even yourself. You pick it up somewhere, how would you know to not go home? Where would you go instead? How would you feel if you passed it on to someone you cared about?

Steve45, I think as a country, if we don't maintain our discipline with Social Distancing right now we will lose the progress we have made so far. The problem is if people start launching their Skis / Boats right now, others will see this as a sign that this is "all over" and there will be "crowds" on many launch ramps throughout the country. If you have your own personal lake and personal launch ramp, then fine go do it; few people would see you doing it and you can easily maintain Social Distancing.

This is not the Common Flu! Three family members of mine have the Corona and they are all fighting it best they can. And as K447 has correctly pointed out, Corona is incredibly contagious, even when a carrier is asymptomatic!

In the state where I live all the Boat Ramps / Lakes are still open. But I'm not going out right now; I think it's the wrong thing to do right now. At some point (and hopefully soon), your Lake will reopen. But for now, please find another activity to do. It's not easy right now, I get it. But it will get better.

Stay safe and well. JB

4. +1 by:

+1
    Steve ,

I love my open water time but that will return. Right now we need to stay the course till we slow the roll on this. I have children that work as a RN and Medical assistant dealing with this everyday. We have lost one employee and several family members over the last week due to this so called "cold" and all of them didn't display any symptoms for more than a week (so they were walking around and infecting others before they were told to isolate) and in each case there was a turn for the worse in a short period of time as they developed a fever that was not responding to treatment and couldn't breathe as their lungs failed to respond.... I know 85% of folks have no issues with this disease . I don't want to be one that is a 15% person or gives it to a 15% person and they don't recover.

6. +1 by:

+1
    The problem is determining when it's "safe" to resume a normal life. What are the measurables? Let's talk about quality of life for the millions who will be able to reduce the risk of infection through prudent preventative measures. There has to be an economic component to this discussion since untold billions of dollars of wealth are being destroyed with each day of restrained economic activity.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by madtom View Post
    ... a turn for the worse in a short period of time ...
    That is another underappreciated aspect.

Infected people can walk around for days, then quickly become quite ill. Their symptoms rapidly change from 'sick' to seriously ill, and then suddenly they are at death's door. Very, very fast.

Riding a watercraft also means - driving around to buy gasoline, etc. Driving to the ramp, and back again. Messing with the trailer, slippery ramp - accidents can happen.

If a traffic accident were to occur, now you are talking to people in the other car that you do not live with, and have no idea whether any of them, or yourself, are a carrier. Even just slipping at the ramp and hurting yourself is a thing that can happen.

If the collision was serious, now you are involving ambulance and hospital resources, plus police and possibly helpful bystanders. Which means taking those resources away from other uses. AND putting yourself, or the other people, into a hopsital at a time when no-one wants to be in a hopsital.

None of us can accurately measure the exact risk when we go out. The optimal course of action is to completely minimize the amount we move around. Stay home.

Recreational activities raise the risks. To yourself and to others. By how much, we cannot calculate.

Maximize the care for others, minimise the risk to everyone.

+1
    And wash your damn hands.

10. +1 by:

From someone that has had multiple lung surgery and is asthmatic this virus could put me in the hospital and possibly kill me. Boat ramps here are open and are probably the safest place we could go. I dont recall ever coming contact with anyone unless they were completely new to the sport and taking way to much time. Here in ct its way to cold to take a ski out, really wish i could.

I have taken my daughter year and half old down to our local ramp, no one around lot empty to throw rocks in the water. She loved it, i dont know how it is in other parts of the country but here in ct unless your on the same boat we dont come in close contact, i dont see how hitting the lake alone on a jetski could even be a turning point for us as jetskiers. I guess those party people are different, i normally use the lake as a get away from people.. but i guess o'doyle rules right?

+1
    All the ramps in central Fl are closed. You're out of luck unless you live on the water or know someone who does.

Have to find a river and a free public ramp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information