1998 Polaris SLTH Coil Pack or CDI replacement?

Alright so we have finally went through the full fuel system on this ski. (New lines, full rebuild and adjustment on the carbs, etc.) Still was not wanting to give it its all in the water. During our process of rebuilding the carbs when we put them back on the bendix went out. I ordered a new starter and bendix and we took the engine out. (I added a picture of the bendix down below too) While it was out we checked the pistons to give them a feel. The PTO side was a bit scored not too bad while the mag side wasn't. Note the PTO side piston is the one that has been giving us trouble though, I don't think it being scored was our problem. We put the engine all back together and dropped it back in, we fired it up that night and the engine knock we have been having was gone. The engine sounded great on the trailer so we decided to water test it the next day. When we dropped it in the water it was back to its old state. The engine knock was back on the PTO side and it did not like to go full throttle. We pulled it out of the water and check the plugs. What we found out was the MAG side plug was really hot while the PTO plug was barely warm. So we felt each cylinder and the PTO side wasn't nearly as hot was the mag side. During this we put new plugs on and you can see something is not right down below with these pictures. So i'm back to thinking that we are having a misfire on the PTO side of the engine. I'm trying to avoid buying the update kit for everything since all of them are around $600. I'm looking at a coil pack with the same part number. My doubts come in when i'm thinking if its the coil pack or the CDI since it could be one or another. We are also guessing timing but are not sure. If there is anything we can test to point us in the right direction that would be helpful too!

Here are the spark plugs both are facing the cylinder they are from. These were brand new and ran in with it in the water for about 5 minutes with us giving it as much throttle as we could.

Here is what the bendix looked like. What I think caused this was when we were trying figure out this whole misfire problem we were firing the engine off of one cylinder each. When we tried to fire off of the PTO side the engine would knock or bang hard so i'm wondering if it was misfiring in the wrong place it would send the wrong force back to the bendix causing it to snap the teeth. ( Its hard to explain but this was the best I could do.)

Also, I have checked all connections with all wires including the plug wires, we also rebooted them too.

Thank you for all the help casey67 for guiding us more with the carburetors its been useful info and i've been reading deep into the signature links provided by K447. Since the recent events in America this has kept me busy while i'm out of work and school its been one hell of a challenge but hopefully you all can help me some more!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200406_202634.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	459958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200406_134355.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	459959  

+1
    Looks like the PTO cylinder is very rich.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. Since its a pre-mixed setup shouldn't it be getting the same amount on both sides?

+1
    Not too much oil, rich on fuel.

+1
    When you get tired of fighting it, my shop is near Mountain Home. I might be the only one within a hundred miles of you that will work on a Polaris Watercraft.

Alright, I looked at your facebook page and will take consideration of that option. Hopefully I can get it, i'm at the point now where ive put the hours in on it and I would like to finish it.
    Last edited by Kolbs1017; 04-08-2020 at 11:43 PM.

+1
    Get a decent multimeter and check the stator.

+1
    My guess is it’s running far too rich, (too much fuel) on that one cylinder. When you put in new plugs it ran OK until it fouled that one and then went back to the way it was. You might want to whirl it over with the plugs out and see if unburned fuel comes out of that plug hole. Be prepared in case it does.
    Last edited by Mockingee; 04-09-2020 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Get a decent multimeter and check the stator.
    Were working on getting one to check everything.

Alright, ill try it but, I took it to the lake yesterday and dipped it back into the water to look at the carbs. I sprayed some carb cleaner in the PTO side and was giving it 1/4 throttle. After that nothing made a difference so I let it idle. Every time the engine would knock it would mist out the carb. So i'm not fully sure.

Thread Information