Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to look for on '17 Ultra LX with 40 hours...

Hi Everyone. New to the group here. Iím historically a Sea Doo guy but want to give Jet Ski a try. Iím not super familiar with the Ultra LX. I found a Ď17 LX with 40 hours on it. The vehicle appears to be in great shape but I donít know how the motor and supercharger were cared for. What recommendations do you guys have for me for this prospective purchase? Thanks in advance for your help!!

+1
    Welcome, Jboss!

Kawasaki names are very confusing. There is an Ultra LX, which is NOT supercharged; and there is an Ultra 310LX, which IS supercharged.

The normally aspirated 'Ski is a great model for virtually anyone. I bought a couple so that guests at the lake could ride them. Very smooth, stable, fast enough for most riders, lots of storage, easy on gas.

The supercharged 310 uses the same hull, but has nearly twice the horsepower. Fast, sucks the gas (90 octane or greater), requires a little more skill to ride. Requires more maintenance.

So, we need to know specifically which model you are looking at.

Thanks, Steve!

Sorry about the second post in the General Discussion forum. I wasnít sure which forum made the most sense. Anyway, I should have been more specific. The machine Iím looking at is a 310LX. Iíve been riding PWCís for 25 years and Iím looking for something fast and fun. Iím a car guy and love horsepower. Iíd prefer to save some money if I can find a low hour machine that is only 2-3 years old. Iíll buy new if I have to but prefer not to. What recommendations do you have for me?

+1
    Gina loves her 16 310R, 371+ hrs and hasn’t missed a lick to speak of. 200+ hrs had one of the water lines going to the oil cooler had a small tear. Easy fix & hose was covered under warranty. Other then that regular maintance and it’s been the most reliable ski in our fleet of skis owned since 2002. I like the skis as well, she doesn’t let me ride it often .

Billy D

+1
    I've got a 310X. I like it, but so does my wife. She has claimed it as her own...

6. +1 by:

Wow. That's awesome. Those are some serious hours, and Bahama crossings to boot!

8. +1 by:

Hey Steve. Is the additional maintenance on the supercharged models excessive? I saw that they need to be fogged fairly regularly for the supercharger rotors. I'll go through the owners manual to see what else is required for these models but I'm eager to hear from someone experienced just how much is involved and if it should be a significant factor in my purchase decision. Thanks!

Fog it after every ride, takes 15 seconds. check the exhaust filter, easily done by yourself, once you have done it once, it only takes about an hr. the 2nd time, belt tensioner needs to be addressed sooner rather than later, and clean the inter-cooler.

167 hrs on my 300x, gas, oil, plugs and 1 exhaust filter.

Thank you for the tips, Chris. I appreciate it. I have a few follow-up questions:
    - How often does the exhaust filter need to be checked? I'll be riding on an inland lake with occasional weeds but not excessive.
    - What do you mean by "address the belt tensioner"? Is it a known problem and needs to be replaced/adjusted?
    - For cleaning the intercooler, should I just follow instructions in the manual? Does it just entail flushing from the rear "silver" fitting with a garden hose and that's it? How often is this done?

Thanks again for your help!

+1
    The manual calls for inspecting/replacing the exhaust filter every 50 hours.

The belt tensioner requires periodic inspection/lubrication. (Once per season? Don't remember).

There is a flush port for the engine, and another one for the intercooler. The engine must be running to flush the engine. Never run water through the engine when it's not running! The engine should be off when flushing the intercooler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information