SLT 780 Water in Stator area

Hi All!

I am new to jetskis and picked up an SLT 780 last summer. Shortly after I got it it wouldn't start and I took it to a mechanic, he put a new starter in it. The next time I was out in the water it was running fine, then lost a lot of power..it just kind of limped back to the dock. I took it back to the same mechanic who told me the stator was bad, his quote to fix was very high so I decided to try it myself. Today I got the motor out and took the stator cover off, and a lot of greasy water came out. The cover was on very tight, I had to use a mallet to get it off. How could the water have gotten there? Could it have been related to the starter installed? I tested the stator wires with a multimeter and one of the circuits has low resistance, according to the book it should be 90 Ohms, but I'm only getting 12...so I'm thinking the stator is definitely bad.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	529C36DE-3316-47B5-8EEB-389913B5AB28.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	459831  

+1
    Was the flywheel cover gasket good? The starter has one or two O-rings on it that seal the opening where it goes into the flywheel housing. Check there.

3. +1 by:

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    +1 for what he said ^^^^^^ Plus there is a rubber coated inspection plug on the top of the engine for checking engine timing. Make sure it's in place.

What's troubling is that was a lot of milky water. And it doesn't look like it's been sitting in there very long. Would have been rusty, but doesn't look to be the case. So it looks to be very recent.

1. Did you have a lot of water inside the hull for it to make it's way into the cover?

2. Did you recently hose out/clean the inside of the hull?

3. Remove your spark plugs and see if any of them are wet with water. Indicating water inside the engine.

That milky water leads me to believe there was oil inside the cover and that can come from the MAG cylinder case seal. Might want to do a leak down test while the engine is out just to make sure.

Thanks for the reply, lot's to think about.

There was water in the bottom of the hull when I took the engine out, but I don't think it was deep enough to reach the stator. Another possibility is that the water was froze in there all winter and just recently thawed out. The water definitely has oil in it, and it has a strong chemical odor that I can't place. I will remove the spark plugs tomorrow and take a look. I didn't notice any water from the exhaust ports, but there was oil in them.

There does not appear to be a gasket of any kind of the cover...it's just gone.

What is a leak test if you don't mind explaining.

Thank you!

+1
    I was thinking if the gasket was missing and water was getting in, it would actually have a place for it to come out as well. Would make sense if it can't keep water out, it wouldn't be able to keep it in also.

The chemical smell intrigues me. I just can't seem to think the flywheel shouldn't be rusty if it was water sitting in there for a period of time. Unless the oil or chemical protected it?

Anyways, here's my how to do a leak down test.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...ight=leak+test

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    I was thinking if the gasket was missing
    No OEM gasket on the Fuji 650/750/780 outer to inner stator housing (or inner to the crankcase for that matter). Service manual calls for Loctite Gasket Eliminator. when installing the outer cover. I use oil resistant silicone, but there are aftermarket gaskets available. Could the chemical smell be PB blaster? We all know how challenging the starters are to remove and if you are not a PB "user" the odor is a bit unusual....

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    No OEM gasket on the Fuji 650/750/780 outer to inner stator housing (or inner to the crankcase for that matter). Service manual calls for Loctite Gasket Eliminator. when installing the outer cover. I use oil resistant silicone, but there are aftermarket gaskets available. Could the chemical smell be PB blaster? We all know how challenging the starters are to remove and if you are not a PB "user" the odor is a bit unusual....
    I bet youíre right about the PB blaster , maybe it inhibited rust development as well. Thanks for the tip on gasket. BTW, Iíve been studying your rebuild post in detail. Thank you much for doing that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Fine, I wrote gasket. Maybe i should have said a seal.

10. +1 by:

Awesome write-up on how to do a leak test, I will do it as soon my pump gets here. thanks again!

Thread Information