Throttle/Carb problem with 750 sxi pro

I am new to stand up jet skis, I just rode mine for the first time yesterday in 40f water with two wetsuits (look at my profile pic). About a month ago my uncle sent me his 1998 Kawasaki 750 Sxi Pro from california, I have been fixing it up. I had to replace the battery, steering cable, and several other parts. Everything besides the gas cap, handlebars, and throttle is stock. The first time that I took it out the throttle acted like it was either on or off. If I went past 1/3 throttle the jetski would just take off. Below is a graph of what the throttle power felt like. In addition to the odd throttle curve sometimes the jetski just randomly dies.

The y axis is the engine power and the x axis is how far the throttle is pushed.
    I think that this sudden jump in engine power might be due to old carbs; gas had been sitting in them for several years.
    Would carb cleaner work for this, I was thinking that I would just rebuild both of them. I have not inspected the internals of the carburetor yet. I was also going to replace the spark plugs.
    The throttle cable is completely fine and so is that actual finger throttle. I was only on the ski for about a total of 20 minutes before I got too cold, possibly if I just ran it for longer the carbs would just blow out the old junk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captura.PNG 
Views:	67 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	459830  

+1
    Welcome aboard, Tyler!

Looks like we have a future engineer in our midst! I love it!

Old gas will definitely cause problems. Chemical additives won't fix it. I think about the only time additives work is when they are used on a regular basis. Once you get crud built up inside the carbs, you really need to open them up and take a look. You really don't want that engine to run lean, it could cause a lot more damage.

If it has oil injection on it, inspect it carefully to make sure that the hoses are supple and securely fastened. Old hoses get brittle and split or fall off.

I ran it with new gas yesterday, but tomorrow I will probably open up the carbs and use some carb cleaner.
    Should I do a rebuild? Also I copied this post from a different forum so here is that pic I was talking about:
    This is after about 10 mins of practice and frozen feet.

Name:	IMG_0658.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	459835  

+1
    You learn quickly! Consider a dry suit with insulation. You can re-route the pisser hose so it sprays on your feet.

Think you've got it bad? Here are some pics I shamelessly stole from the Alaska PWC Club website:

Name:	Alaska PWC 1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	459836   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alaska PWC 2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	459837   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alaska PWC 3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	459838   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alaska PWC 3.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	459839  

Yea, dry suit looks like a must!
    If that sxi pro has sat for a long time I'd look at the diaphragms on the carbs as a starting point.

Thread Information