Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

Deans vs Riva Got both in hand finally

I have only ever ridden a modded FZ. My 09 was decently modded, and ran great. it was Dean team tuned.

This winter picked up this lower hour 2016 svho, it too had deans team tune in it.

I upgraded the intercooler(fizzle/tial), and live at a different elevation so sent ECU back to Dean to be upgraded. Now its 9300 limiter, and mods are in my sig. Basically all the main parts, retainers and stock wheel

64 degrees out side 9100 rpms and 18.1 lbs of boost
    80 out side and 8800 and 16.5 lbs of boost.

Scooped a Riva tuned ECU for my ski, and a used maptunerX the other day, waiting on the Yamaha cable (used maptunerx I got only has the seadoo cable)

looking forward to seeing both tunes on same ski. seems like everyone is hard in deans camp or hard for jesus at Riva. I want to know if I as a rec rider can tell or feel a difference with a dialed in Riva, vs dial in deans.

Results to follow. I have no issues with Deans tune, but I wish I could swap tunes with out mailing the ecu. like a low octane. so wanted to see for my self...
    Last edited by mittens; 04-07-2020 at 03:05 PM.

2. +1 by:

+1
    This thread is for a honest comparison form a rec rider with decent mods. Deans tunes I have no issue with like I stated.

But I cant ride normal one day, and then change to a low octane tune, or adjust anything with out mailing back and forth. That is a old school way to do tuning when files can be sent and loaded onto the ecu remotely. coming from the car and diesel world. So I wanted to try back to back my ski with both. there is a lot of back and forth, like this post defending dean or defending jesus. but not a lot if any where some random Joe
    said F it and got both. and posted up results.

I want to know if I can even tell the difference in the 2.. can swap the 2 ecus back and forth on the water once I have the riva dialed in.

But to be honest unless someone else has BOTH tunes for the same ski, don't care to hear the same thoughta I can google/ search on here of praise for either.

+1
    Maybe wait until you have results before posting.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mittens View Post
    this is about running a ski on both tunes.
    My brother has a 2020 FX svho with a Riva tune and I have 2018 fx svho using Dean`s 6 tune. I rode his and his has more top end then mine.

Wanted to add more info
    The 2020 FX has 13/18 impeller out of box stock wheel
    The 2018 FX has 13/21 adjusted by Jerry, 19 psi wheel
    Last edited by cjk6119; 04-06-2020 at 09:34 AM.

+1
    Interesting. Thanks for the post.

+1
    Mittens, looking forward to the results from a back to back test of these two tunes. please try to provide as much information on what each tune is. The more information you can provide will be helpful for us, I know R&D is gone now but it would be nice if you had one of there tunes to test also, Thanks
    Last edited by 2fast4u; 04-05-2020 at 04:38 PM.

I'm legit interested in your comparison too. I've done both essentially back to back (2 gp's i built. one with Dean's tune one with riva) what would be called "stage 2" tunes. I know which one hits harder IMO. I won't say to not skew any opinions.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhc View Post
    I'm legit interested in your comparison too. I've done both essentially back to back (2 gp's i built. one with Dean's tune one with riva) what would be called "stage 2" tunes. I know which one hits harder IMO. I won't say to not skew any opinions.
    If I had to guess I would say it’s the deans tune that hits harder being the riva tunes are more of a one size fits all type.

+1
    I have read that before, the whole riva is one size fits all but not sure I agree. will find out.

But from what I read and have talked to Jerry. Jesus has some standard tunes, and then can tweak them for people like rev limiter, and add or subtract fuel, and will customize if you data log it, or at least wide band it and then adjust.

Deans tunes are pretty standard too you tell him the mods and he has pretty straight forward tunes for different set ups.
    Like to support each boost level, and supporting mods.

then you tweak with fuel pressure. But telling one tuner your mods and them making a tune, vs the same with the other is still not one off custom stuff.

intake, ribbon, exhaust and cooling are the main mods, and almost anyone paying for a tune has those.

then its what boost wheel, and RPM goal... and if above 17lbs its fuel system to support it.

+1
    Well results are going to be delayed....

I bought a Used Riva Tuned ECU, and then a used MaptunerX. Posted this thread, and once my Yamaha cable came in, added the ECU to the MaptunerX, Jesus let me know the ECU was not tuned by Riva....

So debating what I will do with the ECU, spend 600 more for a license and be done, or sell/trade this one to someone else. It has a 23lbs wheel, 9500 limiter, and 93 octane tune in it, that looks like deans Tune from the way the maptuner handed the software. but trying to get with dean still to verify it is, or what. Back charge the CC I used to pay luckly since its not what was agreed to? then find another. not Sure. And I don't want to sell this ECU with out confirming its deans tune or what ever, as I don't want pass along a bad deal.

Will figure out what to do shortly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information