GP1300R Newbie Qusetions

Hi, firstly.. fantastic forum an a wealth of experience an knowledge on here, keep up the good work!!

I am in the UK and just bought a RIUS Racing GP1300r, the hull had a bad repair, the paint job was rubbish and it had snapped a couple of engine mounts, but it was cheap enough so took it on and a bit of a fixer upper!

Stripped it down and had the hull painted, and looked to mod/future proof the ski on reassemble so started to read on here an wanted to start doing a few bits n bobs!

However, it already has R&D intake grate, R&D ride plate an I've noticed it has a 14/20 Skat Trak impeller and a 91mm nozzle?? After reading on here about those, I'm concerned now? I havent previously rode this ski, should I leave it as it is, or change them out??

I was looking to do the jetworks holeshot mod, would this work effectively with this setup?

Many thanks!

Its a Rius ski, it will be fine stock unless you are an experience rider. Was this on ebay about mid march?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Hi, firstly.. fantastic forum an a wealth of experience an knowledge on here, keep up the good work!!

I am in the UK and just bought a RIUS Racing GP1300r, the hull had a bad repair, the paint job was rubbish and it had snapped a couple of engine mounts, but it was cheap enough so took it on and a bit of a fixer upper!

Stripped it down and had the hull painted, and looked to mod/future proof the ski on reassemble so started to read on here an wanted to start doing a few bits n bobs!

However, it already has R&D intake grate, R&D ride plate an I've noticed it has a 14/20 Skat Trak impeller and a 91mm nozzle?? After reading on here about those, I'm concerned now? I havent previously rode this ski, should I leave it as it is, or change them out??

I was looking to do the jetworks holeshot mod, would this work effectively with this setup?

Many thanks!
    You need to ride it and decide what you want from it, all round performance, top speed, cc racing ? Each combination of parts will best suit a different purpose, the plate you have is better for top speed smooth water rather than rough water, the 91mm is stock size for the steering nozzle and may give better holeshot less top speed than a smaller one but depends on the engine spec and other part combinations of the pump, venturi nozzle? Stock pump or skat? Ultimate choice depends on what it will be used for.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
    Its a Rius ski, it will be fine stock unless you are an experience rider. Was this on ebay about mid march?
    No I bought it in October last year! I have had a few skis over the years, but never used to tinker with things then, but I've found I enjoy it and if I can improve things before I put it all back together I might as well!?

Quote Originally Posted by Diegosan View Post
    You need to ride it and decide what you want from it, all round performance, top speed, cc racing ? Each combination of parts will best suit a different purpose, the plate you have is better for top speed smooth water rather than rough water, the 91mm is stock size for the steering nozzle and may give better holeshot less top speed than a smaller one but depends on the engine spec and other part combinations of the pump, venturi nozzle? Stock pump or skat? Ultimate choice depends on what it will be used for.
    I'm not chasing the top end speed, it would probably be fast enough top speed in stock form? I do enjoy jumping waves in the sea so wouldnt mind improving the holeshot and acceleration tho?

I thought I'd read that the GP1300R came stock with an 85mm nozzle? Is that not the steering nozzle and have I measured the wrong thing!?

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    I'm not chasing the top end speed, it would probably be fast enough top speed in stock form? I do enjoy jumping waves in the sea so wouldnt mind improving the holeshot and acceleration tho?

I thought I'd read that the GP1300R came stock with an 85mm nozzle? Is that not the steering nozzle and have I measured the wrong thing!?
    You dont know what you've got till you try it, you may find you're happy with the setup you have. The steering nozzle is the nozzle at the very rear of the ski which turns with the handle bars and directs the thrust from the jet unit. The exit nozzle or venturi nozzle is in front of the steering nozzle and in your case is probably 85mm 5 degree. Once you are used to your setup you may want to gather some different parts, nozzles,stock ride plate, and some washers for your trim tabs and experiment with different setups. You need to get used to your ski first and then try one thing at a time to really know what does what but that is the way to learn what the best combination of parts is and what does what. Look into Leo's holeshot kit also.

Quote Originally Posted by Diegosan View Post
    You dont know what you've got till you try it, you may find you're happy with the setup you have. The steering nozzle is the nozzle at the very rear of the ski which turns with the handle bars and directs the thrust from the jet unit. The exit nozzle or venturi nozzle is in front of the steering nozzle and in your case is probably 85mm 5 degree. Once you are used to your setup you may want to gather some different parts, nozzles,stock ride plate, and some washers for your trim tabs and experiment with different setups. You need to get used to your ski first and then try one thing at a time to really know what does what but that is the way to learn what the best combination of parts is and what does what. Look into Leo's holeshot kit also.
    Thanks for your help and advice! I'm going to do the holeshot mod and then get it back together and hopefully get to ride it soon!

Sounds like a good plan they are a fun ski to ride. Post some pics once it's all done.

Thread Information