2001 Kawasaki 1100 stx di - just purchased

I’m new to jet skis, so I wanted to see if anyone could lend some advice. I just purchased a 2001 Kawasaki 1101 stx di. It cranked when I bought it last week (on the trailer, not in water). I bought a new battery and filled it 3/4 with oil and filled it with 90-Rex gas. When I put it in the water, the warning light was on and the word “FUEL” and the fuel icon were blinking. The gas gauge was reading completely empty, even though the ski was full. The ski will crank, but it won’t stay cranked for long (2ish minutes max). Any ideas?

Thanks!

+1
    Fuel light is probably just the fuel-level sending unit... fairly easy and inexpensive repair.

If the ski doesn't stay running, it could be due to any number of issues. That model is known for problems with the computer that controls the engine, and it's very likely that it's the cause of your problem.

Where are you located?

+1
    Fuel sensor for that model is $186.

As Grumpy said, the ECM on those is very troublesome. Make sure the cooling water is flowing to it! Do a search here for more info.

You might also have a problem with a plugged fuel filter, fuel tank venting, etc.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Fuel sensor for that model is $186.
    I'd sell a used one for half that number.

I wish the site would require members to enter a location. I find myself asking that question whenever I respond to a post. I have spare parts for a lot of skis, including an EMM for the Kawi DI. I'd help a member that is local... and my fee is usually a 12-pack.

The computer was replaced in August. I am located on lake Jackson in Georgia.

thank you!

+1
    Georgia is a little too far for me to drive, but you're welcome to bring your ski here.

The EMM could still be bad, especially if it was replaced with a used one.

Assuming the EMM is good, I'd go with Steve45's suggestion and check the fuel tank/fuel delivery. If the sending unit is bad, perhaps there was moisture in the tank that fouled up the sending unit and the fuel pump. I have a 2001 DI that I picked up last summer. It was sitting for years. The fuel pump was totally rusted and there was about a quart of liquid rust in the bottom of the tank.

Easiest way to get at the fuel tank is to remove the glove box. Unfortunately, it's a real pain to remove the orange switch to get the glove box out. Use a sharp utility knife to cut the black glove box flange around the orange switch. On the newer skis, the flange on the glove box is already cut out to allow removal without removing the switch.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtin24 View Post
    I’m new to jet skis, so I wanted to see if anyone could lend some advice. I just purchased a 2001 Kawasaki 1101 stx di. It cranked when I bought it last week (on the trailer, not in water). I bought a new battery and filled it 3/4 with oil and filled it with 90-Rex gas. When I put it in the water, the warning light was on and the word “FUEL” and the fuel icon were blinking. The gas gauge was reading completely empty, even though the ski was full. The ski will crank, but it won’t stay cranked for long (2ish minutes max). Any ideas?

Thanks!
    No need to waste your money on 90 octane. These are meant to run on 87. If this ski sat for an extended period without a fuel stabilizer more than likely the fuel pump is toast and the pickup sock is more than likely plugged up. Even with an ethanol fuel stabilizer, gas begins to turn dark brown within 6 months and becomes less efficient over time. I would suggest pulling the fuel pump out for inspection, as well as the content in the fuel tank itself. You may have some water mixed in there as well.

+1
    I'd suggest you check fuel pressure. But the EMM can be suspect as well, and Lakeside Tech can assist if needed.

Thread Information