Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    +1
    Today was hot and the air was horrible and it still made those speeds. With that said, in good air and colder months the speeds should increase as it will rev more being the limiter is right below 7900.
    I don't want to be pitching the impeller for different weather conditions, this ski isn't that serious to me. I also wanted to show results with more bolt on options for those who don't have access to pitching impellers at their disposal.
    Quote Originally Posted by 200AQUAXER View Post
    I'm curious if you took the 83mm and pitched the prop to get the 200 rpms you lost what the speeds would be?
    Shell 87 octane with ethanol. I bought the ski to ride, so the fuel going stale shouldn't be an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by m schmidt View Post
    Just curious what fuel your running? 87 at 100% or just regular 10% at the pump. Very nice work!

I've got a 1.8 FX and like you I've been on the limiter since doing an intake and ribbon delete. Like you said, the last 25% of throttle does nothing. I think I'll give the 83mm nozzle a try. What do I need for the install? Just loctite and silicone sealant?

Thanks for all the testing you've been doing!

+1
    Just the nozzle...that nozzle is the easiest to switch too if you can swing the rpms enough to still make speed. The speed will be higher per rpm compared to the 87mm. Basically just bolt the nozzle directly on, nothing special needed. As you can see from my pics, I never reinstall the silicone on the nozzles and have never had an issue...nor do I use loctite, being I make so many changes when testing. The 85mm needs the casting bosses drilled and tapped to accept the reverse mechanism. For long wot cruises, I'd probably put the 83mm back on, being it makes good speed still at such a lower rpm and would probably conserve fuel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
    I've got a 1.8 FX and like you I've been on the limiter since doing an intake and ribbon delete. Like you said, the last 25% of throttle does nothing. I think I'll give the 83mm nozzle a try. What do I need for the install? Just loctite and silicone sealant?

Thanks for all the testing you've been doing!

4. +1 by:

Yeah we do alot of long rides. And I'm up in Michigan, with the cooler air I figure I might run a little higher on the rpms.

Thanks again man

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ksalles View Post
    Yes...the 83mm bolted right on, no modification needed. What I will suggest, is make sure you make good rpm first before trying the smaller nozzles. These engines have to breath to make power. That's the most important piece of the puzzle. I feel the 87mm is better matched with a lower power/stock airbox and restrictive ribbon in place setup to allow the motor to spin easier. Once you install an intake that isn't restrictive and remove the ribbon, the power and throttle response is night and day difference...then you can start playing with nozzles. In my opinion, it would be a waste of time with a smaller nozzle and stock intake setup.
    I have already have installed the ribbon delete and the R&D Power Plenum to replace the stock breather and airbox. As you said, I got an immediate improvement in throttle response and torque (more noise too). RPMs are around 7600~7650. I actually drag raced a 2016 VXR several times that had ribbon delete, RIVA breather, RIVA ride plate and I don't know what else. I consistently beat him up to about a 1/4 mile but he started gaining on me after I reached top speed and eventually passed me when we got out to about a 1/2 mile. The guy was shocked at my acceleration, considering the big weight disadvantage I had. So, I was curious if I can get a little more top end speed with a different nozzle.

+1
    The 19' up GP1800R, or Riva rideplate. They should yield you more top end, especially in anything other than perfectly flat water. Both just bolt on and make a significant improvement in handling as well. Changing nozzles is literally a 5 min job. If you have a friend locally who has a nozzle stamped 6S5, give it a shot and see. As I mentioned, all skis will respond differently depending on the rest of the setup, but it's worth a shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizeagle View Post
    I have already have installed the ribbon delete and the R&D Power Plenum to replace the stock breather and airbox. As you said, I got an immediate improvement in throttle response and torque (more noise too). RPMs are around 7600~7650. I actually drag raced a 2016 VXR several times that had ribbon delete, RIVA breather, RIVA ride plate and I don't know what else. I consistently beat him up to about a 1/4 mile but he started gaining on me after I reached top speed and eventually passed me when we got out to about a 1/2 mile. The guy was shocked at my acceleration, considering the big weight disadvantage I had. So, I was curious if I can get a little more top end speed with a different nozzle.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ksalles View Post
    The 19' up GP1800R, or Riva rideplate. They should yield you more top end, especially in anything other than perfectly flat water. Both just bolt on and make a significant improvement in handling as well. Changing nozzles is literally a 5 min job. If you have a friend locally who has a nozzle stamped 6S5, give it a shot and see. As I mentioned, all skis will respond differently depending on the rest of the setup, but it's worth a shot.
    Any idea which year FZR that the 6S5 stamped nozzle is for?

+1
    09-13 FZR/S should be the correct nozzle.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizeagle View Post
    Any idea which year FZR that the 6S5 stamped nozzle is for?

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    I got the 16 VX Ho 1.8L (same same)
    I just put that fzr nozzle on (thanks) cavitation GONE.
    Was cavitating and banging limiter......
    Now I gained 2 Mph but that might be the ribbon delete and add on filter with holes in seat (Thank U and TJ)
    13/19 only turning 7500-7600 at 66mph 3/4 full.(TJ Exh Mod and Jims Cut Plate)
    Its weird having "0" cavitation- I swear it now feels like a transmission back there row..
    For sure you hear the motor more , but the stereo can cover that..
    Need to try an ext sterring nozzle and see how it works and see what it does to my roostertail..
    Thanks and Good Job
    Keyzbum Matt

+1
    Awesome results, thank you for sharing. That's a big improvement. The VXHO doesn't have trim correct? I'd imagine the little speed difference in the VXHO and VXR/S platforms is probably the result of the trim. As mentioned, that's great results and thank you for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    I got the 16 VX Ho 1.8L (same same)
    I just put that fzr nozzle on (thanks) cavitation GONE.
    Was cavitating and banging limiter......
    Now I gained 2 Mph but that might be the ribbon delete and add on filter with holes in seat (Thank U and TJ)
    13/19 only turning 7500-7600 at 66mph 3/4 full.(TJ Exh Mod and Jims Cut Plate)
    Its weird having "0" cavitation- I swear it now feels like a transmission back there row..
    For sure you hear the motor more , but the stereo can cover that..
    Need to try an ext sterring nozzle and see how it works and see what it does to my roostertail..
    Thanks and Good Job
    Keyzbum Matt

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information