Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    +1
    My pleasure. I'm not the guy who is going to have something and settle for mediocre, and half a$$ performance... especially when I know it has more potential. I enjoy sharing from my experiences, but not every ski has the same results. I just wanted to try what I figured should work, according to how the ski was initially performing, and responding to the mods I did. What started out as a thread with me being frustrated from the performance when I purchased this ski, hopefully turns into something others will use, and possibly be beneficial to anybody having similar issues. Keith Salles
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingSlow View Post
    This is the best thread of 2020. Thank you.

2. +1 by:

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingSlow View Post
    This is the best thread of 2020. Thank you.

Yes it is. It’s so good to see someone getting almost unheard of speed out of this ski with minimal expense. Just some testing and tweaking. I can’t wait to mess with mine and get it running better

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Any ideas on what this ski could do with a tune?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    Thatís what I was wondering! It would be awesome to have a n/a ski that went 73 no more sc clutch / intercooler worry and would be stone reliable!

+1
    I really don't feel it would pull this prop and nozzle combination to much more being normally aspirated. I know you could run a smaller prop and spin it higher to achieve the same, or better results, but I wanted something easier on rpms and fuel. Plus I wanted to run pump 87 gas and not have to worry about having to run higher octane fuel to support the higher timing curve of the tunes. Don't get me wrong, a tuned boat would perform better and are worth it, if that's what you're after...I just wanted to keep this ski as simple as possible. As mentioned this is just a rec ski and to teach my daughter on. If it were for just me, I'd get deeper into it and modifying. This all started from buying it and being disgusted because it was so slow. I had some parts laying around and time to reseal the transom, grate, etc, so I just went ahead and started trying things. Fortunately for me, everything I tried increased the performance. As a recap this is all the ski has:

-Home made intake (which you can see is very efficient and these skis need air to perform. If you have an aftermarket intake, make sure you don't have a paper filter element that has gotten wet, or misted with oil, it WILL hinder performance. I need to order an all stainless filter that's easy to clean and will never break down, or limit the flow like paper elements will after being wet or oiled)

- 2019 GP1800R ride plate

-Ribbon removed. (no sleeve installed, but if I had one, I would have installed it)

-Solas 13/19 impeller untouched (try the stock prop first, they perform pretty dam good with this setup)

-83mm 5 degree 6 vane nozzle (6S5) from a SHOFZR/S, NOT the SVHO 8 vane 3 degree 85mm.

-Tommy Jordon exhaust mod (complete) You'll be really pleased with this mod and it's near free and simple.

-Transom and grate removed and completely sealed, even between the transom ramp inlet to the rear of the intake grate crescent. (this may or may not increase speed, I just wanted to note it being this is what I did)

This should be all that I have done. If I remember anything else I'll add it to this post for simplicity for others. Again, I'm not saying this is "THE" way to get performance from these skis, just from my experience of buying one that went 57-58mph when I bought it. You can try the stock prop first, it's close in performance and may work fine for you with everything else done.

IF YOU HAVE AN AFTERMARKET INTAKE AND NOT SEEING RPM EVEN WITH A STOCK PROP AND 87MM NOZZLE:

-change your plugs

-make sure you don't have more oil than roughly halfway between the 2 holes on your dip stick, or a touch above it.

-To see if your filter is clogged or compromised, or if the motor isn't getting enough air, you can pull your hood off and the small partition wall (comes out with 5 plastic push rivets) and see if your rpm or speed increase. As mentioned by others the stock tach's aren't that accurate and don't give an accurate reading. If removing the hood and partition wall doesn't work, remove your air filter off your intake tube if it still doesn't make rpm. Temporarily of course just for a pass or 2 to check rpm gains, if any. ( I suggest flat water only testing this and not around the locals so you don't look like an idiot. lol) They need air to breathe..this is a BIG motor that needs air. The stock airbox is not the key in performance, regardless what filter you have in it. Plus it cleans up the engine bay drastically removing it.

*To note, my speeds and rpm were achieved with both seats on, nothing shimmed on the hood or rear seat, the factory black hoses designed to aid the ski in staying afloat if capsized still in place, with just the modification I made to my seat right above the air filter.

Keith Salles

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post

Lake Lion
    +1
    Anyone ever port the N/A head? On a mild boost engine, there is almost no gain. But on this, it has to work, right?

Quote Originally Posted by hotbutta View Post
    Anyone ever port the N/A head? On a mild boost engine, there is almost no gain. But on this, it has to work, right?
    Great question, would imagine cams and porting would wake it up nicely would love to know if anyone has done it also

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information