+1

Svho vs ho & ride difference between GP and FX hulls

Currently riding GP1800R. I am considering moving to an FX for a smoooother ride. My question is, if I do an HO instead of an SVHO how drastic is the power difference? Will I be totally dissatisfied after having been on my GP for over a year? Iíve never ridden a non supercharged ski. Edit to add: I am only considering, nothing will be done until Covid19 crisis is in our rear view mirror.

I would also like some input about the ride difference between the GP and the FX hulls. I am going through some back issues. My GP, while itís AWESOME, itís also not a great hull in almost any level of chop. I am considering moving to a larger hull with a smoother ride. Will the FX deliver this? What are you guys opinions?

+1
    FX HI 19/20 is very disappointing in the HO platform....

FX SVHO is much better with the supercharged motor.....

Search for opinions on this site.

I have a buddy with a modified GP1800 and it does have some drawbacks like tough in chop, not as stable, and its tough to get the hang of cornering at speed. Not to say its not sweet but not my cup of tea. I have a 2020 FX SVHO and a 2018 FX HO. My new ski is fast handles great and it just plain fun, my 2018 is more stable cheaper to buy and own, more "comfy" but way slower and less responsive. My wife loves it and its a great all around family ski or cruiser. Hope that helps.

+1
    On the down-sizing from a SC to a NA topic, it boils-down to the "type" of rider you are. Example, if you are mostly a WOT / hole-shot rider the NA is likely going to disappoint. Yet, if you are mainly a cruiser rider, let's say mostly in the 40-55mph range 90% of the time, than you'd only miss that SC platform on occasion.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    On the down-sizing from a SC to a NA ... if you are mainly a cruiser rider, let's say mostly in the 40-55mph range 90% of the time, than you'd only miss that SC platform on occasion.
    A friend has both GP1800 (Riva Stage 1+ tuned, aftermarket air intake) and VXR, basically stock (but with a Riva Power Filter air intake).

Both of us noticed that the non-supercharged VXR has more engine noise at cruise speeds. The VXR engine is generally turning higher RPM (the impeller has less blade pitch) than the SVHO engine to move the hull along at 50 something mph.

At cruise I found the additional noise riding the VXR to make for a less relaxing ride compared to my own GP1800 (Stage 1+ tune, stock exhaust).
    Last edited by K447; 03-27-2020 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Forgot about the aftermarket air intake on VXR

6. +1 by:

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    A friend has both GP1800 (Riva Stage 1+ tuned, aftermarket air intake) and VXR (basically stock).

Both of us noticed that the non-supercharged VXR has more engine noise at cruise speeds. The VXR engine is generally turning higher RPM (the impeller has less blade pitch) than the SVHO engine to move the hull along at 50 something mph.

At cruise I found the additional noise riding the VXR to make for a less relaxing ride compared to my own GP1800 (Stage 1+ tune, stock exhaust).

I know that guy too. I will add that if you enjoy acceleration at all you will be very disappointed going from supercharged to NA

8. +1 by:

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    The noise from the vxr Is the riva power filter. It was much quieter with the stock air intake. I donít like how it sounds at all after removing the stock air box. The SVHO however sounds awesome removing the stock air box

10. +1 by:

+1
    I ride an FXHO. Definitely handles the chop well and is comfortable to ride.
    Last edited by TommyB80; 03-27-2020 at 08:51 PM.

+1
    Once you have gone supercharged, you will be wasting your money getting a HO! I ride a '16 FXCSVHO and love it. I would never ever buy a HO platform.

Thread Information