+1

Dielectric Grease

My father told me that I should use dielectric grease on my ski`s electrical connections. He said when he had his 1968 Hatteras, his mechanic used it on all his connections on the boat. What`s the thoughts of using this on my ski??

Thanks for your replies.
    C J

+1
    I use it on my trailer connection to my vehicle as it is not a sealed watertight connection. I think it could be used inside the ski but I believe all connections should already be watertight so it may be overkill.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xkon View Post
    I use it on my trailer connection to my vehicle as it is not a sealed watertight connection. I think it could be used inside the ski but I believe all connections should already be watertight so it may be overkill.
    With the sensitive ECU and the different resistance values coming into the ECU, I thought the salt water could play havoc on these connections. I didn't know the electrical connections were watertight.

Thanks xkon
    C J

+1
    I may be wrong but I thought the ecu connections and such had an o ring around it to help prevent water intrusion.

+1
    use the grease on all connections!

6. +1 by:

+1
    After some reading, it looks that the grease could cause some problems. In the past I have used WD-40 on wet spark plug wires and had good results then. I think I will leave it alone for now.

+1
    I just want to re-emphasize what's already been said ... all connectors are sealed with gaskets, so there really isn't a need to pull apart every connector and add grease. In-fact, doing that could introduce issues if you broke a wire / bent a pin or inadvertently have moisture fall into the connector before reassembly (aka trapping it inside).

Next issue is the connector gasket. They appear silicone-based to me, so caution should be considered that any grease, lube, petroleum-based, or wd40 (which might also have solvents) could react and possible deteriorate the gasket material.
    Last edited by TimeBandit; 03-27-2020 at 06:15 AM. Reason: silicone

downunder123
    +1
    If ain't broken don't fix it... but either way do not use WD40 or similar oil based products on electrical connectors. Oil is an insulator and the electrical connectors don't like it. There is a range of cleaning products that are specifically made for the electronics applications. I personally use dielectric (non-conductive) grease on my skis, and make sure not to apply it on the actual pins inside connector but rather applying it on the connectors's perimeter or the female's end flat surfaces as an extra sealant. If you are looking for a dielectric grease look for the one that has low bleed.
    At the same time I use a conductive paste wherever I can. Battery terminals, isolating switch terminals, any GND connectors etc...

Thread Information