MSX 150 anti-freeze coming out of water pickup screen

Hello, I have a 2004 Polaris MSX 150. The ski was bought with 24 hours on it in fall 2015, it now has 80 hours on it. It has been issue free for the past 4 years. Just pulled it out of the barn for spring and noticed all of the anit-freeze was gone. The more we looked into it, we found it puddled up in the stationary nozzle and that it came out of the screen. Filled the anti-freeze tank back up and it lowered noticeably in a short time.
    We winterized them the same as the previous years.
    Any suggestions on what the issue is/where to start looking?

+1
    Welcome to GH!
    Are you saying the coolant is leaking out the jetpump... through the freshwater pickup hose (the small plastic screen covering the pickup hole in the jetpump nozzle)??

The coolant system is closed-looped on the MSX 150 (Weber engine). Freshwater is pressurized at the jetpump nozzle (only when pump is in the water and engine is running) and flows through the ski to cool this chain of items: Intercooler, heat exchanger, oil tank, exhaust manifold, waterbox, then exits.

If you are leaking coolant out the jetpump... you must have a damaged heat exchanger... where the coolant system gives-up its heat to the freshwater system. Does make sense, that damage in the heat exchanger would allow coolant (which sits higher up on the engine) to drain down and out the freshwater pickup hose leaking out the jet pump.

Sadly, the heat exchanger is a bear to get at on the MSX150. It sits below the intake manifold and is sandwiched between the intake manifold and the lower heat exchanger mount/bracket. You will need to remove intake manifold to access it.

One test you could do to confirm... if pull the small hose of the front side of the coolant tank and plug the barb on the tank. With the cap on the coolant tank... apply pressure (no more than 15psi max) to the small hose. I use a Tee with my bicycle tire pump and a gauge connected to the small hose. You want to pressurize the coolant system. You can perform this test even if there is coolant in it. It should hold 15psi without any leaks. As you apply pressure... you should be able to hear it hissing out somewhere if you have a coolant system leak.

Cheers!

3. +1 by:

+1
    Sounds like you busted your your heat exchanger. Jf youíre crafty with tools, it takes about 1.5-2 hours to swap it out. I have a spare that I can sell you cheap if you need it. Keep us posted and I can guide you through swapping it.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinosterholt View Post
    Hello, I have a 2004 Polaris MSX 150. The ski was bought with 24 hours on it in fall 2015, it now has 80 hours on it. It has been issue free for the past 4 years. Just pulled it out of the barn for spring and noticed all of the anit-freeze was gone. The more we looked into it, we found it puddled up in the stationary nozzle and that it came out of the screen. Filled the anti-freeze tank back up and it lowered noticeably in a short time.
    We winterized them the same as the previous years.
    Any suggestions on what the issue is/where to start looking?

5. +1 by:

+1
    If you winterized the ski... did you winterize the raw water circuit somehow? If not, was the ski stored with a nose-down attitude? If yes, it’s common that the heat exchanger gets popped from raw water freezing inside the heat exchanger.

In the future, storing with the nose of the ski up high helps it drain out better.

7. +1 by:

Thanks for all of the responses. That solidified what I was assuming through diagrams and where the water and anti-freeze came in contact. Unfortunately, I don't think we stored them nose up.. luckily the other ski is okay. Must have gotten the water out of the other one better!
    I have a new heat exchanger on the way and will get it swapped out ASAP!
    Will reach out again if we have issues getting it out.

+1
    Thatís excellent news! Let us know if you need advice with the swap. Itís not all too bad, you just need to dive in. Iíd say that knowing that you possibly stored them nose-down is a good thing... that confirms the diagnosis. Iíve seen a few cracked heat exchangers from freezing.

Youíll be back on the water in no time. Donít forget the propylene glycol coolant. You might want to order it now because itís really tough to find in your local stores. The factory fill is a product called ban-frost. You can buy a gallon of concentrate and dilute it down to 50/50 with distilled water.

Also, for your swap, I highly recommend the factory oetiker clamps for the hoses. But if you donít have access to these, make sure to use good-quality stainless steel clamps. Itís remarkable how quickly the cheap automotive ones will rust out and fail inside the high-humidity of a PWC hull.

10. +1 by:

Thread Information