Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First PWC Purchase

Hello All!

Fresh to the sport transferring over from snowmobiling. Spent the last few weeks researching different brands and models and I think I am locked in on the VX cruiser HO. I will ride 100% on medium to small sized inland lakes and rivers, no great lake or ocean riding. I also want something a little quicker than the other VX options without moving to a supercharged model. I plan to look for a used unit with the least amount of hours I can find, 3-5 years old max.

Looking for some input from some more experienced riders including:

Any common problems from the VX cruiser HO?
    How many hours can you expect from this motor if well maintained?
    Any years for this ski that I should avoid while looking for a used unit?
    Anything I should specifically look for when checking out a ski in person before buying?

I'm in Northern IL and willing to drive 150 miles for a good deal if you have one. Thank you in advance for any advice!

+1
    It’s a Yamaha, put gas in it and change the oil and you’re looking at 3-500 hours. They use these as rentals for a reason, the engine is pretty bulletproof. Don’t have much experience with the VX models but usually naturally aspirated engines will get you around 57 mph I’m thinking.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

Will you be riding solo or with passenger?

For the most part solo yes. On occasion I might have a passenger. Also, I’m 6’2” 200 in case that matters

Quote Originally Posted by Mosser View Post
    It’s a Yamaha, put gas in it and change the oil and you’re looking at 3-500 hours. They use these as rentals for a reason, the engine is pretty bulletproof. Don’t have much experience with the VX models but usually naturally aspirated engines will get you around 57 mph I’m thinking.
    great to hear thanks for the reply! How about when buying from a private party? I assume checking out the hull carefully is important. Anything else a new buyer should probably also look at?

My 18' VX Cruiser HO is bulletproof. It will do 63 to 64 MPH. I recommend a ride plate either the 2019 GP1800 OEM ride plate or aftermarket RIVA ride plate for better stability and tracking. It needs nothing else.

The FX hull will be mid to high 50's because it's a bit larger, but handles the chop a lot better.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thansen1847 View Post
    great to hear thanks for the reply! How about when buying from a private party? I assume checking out the hull carefully is important. Anything else a new buyer should probably also look at?
    Water test and take it to a marina and pay for them to inspect whole machine. A couple hundred dollars for inspection can save you thousands down the road.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by thansen1847 View Post
    For the most part solo yes. On occasion I might have a passenger.

Also, Im 62 200 in case that matters
    In my experience the 2015 onwards (2105 was first year of redesign) VXR hull type rides best with single rider.

Passenger weight shifts the center of gravity rearwards which can make the hull seem less stable. Not terrible, but I was surprised how much a 200 pound passenger affected the handling and ride on my GP1800. Same hull as modern VX_ just with a lot more power available. At 50ish mph cruise the hull bounces more than when by myself.

Trim does help when carry passenger, but only available on non-Cruiser models IIRC.

The Cruiser seat (if that is important to you) is interchangeable with the non-cruiser seat, my understanding. So if you want trim you can buy a model with trim, then swap on a Cruiser seat. Sometimes a dealer will be willing to do a seat swap to make the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by LivingSlow View Post
    My 18' VX Cruiser HO is bulletproof. It will do 63 to 64 MPH. I recommend a ride plate either the 2019 GP1800 OEM ride plate or aftermarket RIVA ride plate for better stability and tracking. It needs nothing else.

The FX hull will be mid to high 50's because it's a bit larger, but handles the chop a lot better.
    I will need to do some additional research on that. Thanks for the info! Glad to hear "bullet proof" I've never had that in a snowmobile and trying to avoid it in this world haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information