Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingSlow View Post
    My 18' VX Cruiser HO is bulletproof. It will do 63 to 64 MPH. I recommend a ride plate either the 2019 GP1800 OEM ride plate or aftermarket RIVA ride plate for better stability and tracking. It needs nothing else.

The FX hull will be mid to high 50's because it's a bit larger, but handles the chop a lot better.
    I think this is more like the speeds that you should expect from a VX Cruiser HO. Mosser said 57mph in post #2 but I think that he's talking about the "standard, non-1.8L engine" VX skis.

I'm on craigslist every day "window shopping" and maybe I've seen one VX Cruiser HO listed for sale in the Houston, TX area in the last year. I think the VX Cruiser HO is a great ski but I don't think there are many out there. A similar ski would be the VXR. Again, I'm on CL everyday and I haven't seen many of them either in the last year. My next door neighbor was in the market for one and I was looking! He ended up buying a leftover, 2019 GP1800R brand new from a dealer in south Houston.

My opinion is that the 1.8L normally aspirated skis are the best bang for the buck out there. Performance is outstanding. As you can see from my signature, I own two of the older versions of the VXR/VXS. I call the 1.8L normally aspirated skis the "forgotten" skis. I think that many people that go to a Yami dealer to buy skis don't have any idea about any skis. They just want a ski or skis and they buy on price and lots of availability. My opinion is that the standard VX is Yamaha's bread and butter ski. That's why you see so many VX (non-1.8L) out there. Great ski but as one person said either on this or the other PWC website, "The VX (non-1.8L) is for those who have given up on having fun!"

The other people are the enthusiasts like many on this website or the new buyer who just wants the fastest, most powerful ski. So, I think the supercharged skis sell and the lower priced, non-1.8L skis sell due to price and availability. This leaves the normally aspirated, 1.8L powered skis "forgotten." I see them occasionally on craigslist but not very often at all. BTW, I window shop San Antonio, Austin and Dallas as well. They're out there, just not plentiful like the standard, slow VX.

+1
    I forgot to mention in my long winded post above that skis are very region specific. By that I mean price and probably to a lesser extent, model and availability. While the 1.8L normally aspirated skis may be fairly rare on the used market here in Texas, they may be more plentiful where you are.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information