Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2018 KAW 310 X 50 hours exhaust filter change

I just hit the 50 hour mark and it say to replace the exhaust filter?

I ride in fresh water only. They want $350 to put on a new filter.

Are all you guys checking the filter to see if its clogged or is this something

that can go to 100 hours?

$350?! Yea you can definitely check it and reuse the gaskets even just put a little gasket maker on all mating surfaces. If you ride fresh water and do a good job of blowing the waterbox out they will definitely go more then 50hrs

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 250stxrider View Post
    I just hit the 50 hour mark and it say to replace the exhaust filter?

I ride in fresh water only. They want $350 to put on a new filter.

Are all you guys checking the filter to see if its clogged or is this something

that can go to 100 hours?
    $350 is far cheaper than a new engine.... so what ever you choose to do .... someone with a good mechanical understanding needs to at least at min inspect the filter......
    Last edited by sirbreaksalot; 03-26-2020 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    $350 is far cheaper than a new engine.... so whatbever you choose to do .... someone with a good mechanical understanding needs to at least at min inspect the filter......
    so ur saying if the exhaust filter goes bad u could to lose an engine...thats a new one. i took mine out and replace it with the r&d exhaust plate i like it better than the riva it had smaller water jackets in theirs and after i run the ski i run it for a few sec bumping the throttle a few times on the trailer to blow out the exhaust. no worries about it braking apart and going into ur water box.
    Last edited by yellow jacket; 03-25-2020 at 09:23 PM.

+1
    Ditto on that!...
    Gasket maker can cause water blockages on the manifold....
    Use permatex spray copper gasket and make sure you torque to the OEM specs!

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow jacket View Post
    so ur saying if the exhaust filter goes bad u could to lose an engine...thats a new one. i took mine out and replace it with the r&d exhaust plate i like it better than the riva it had smaller water jackets in theirs and after i run the ski i run it for a few sec bumping the throttle a few times on the trailer to blow out the exhaust. no worries about it braking apart and going into ur water box.
    Yes that's what Im saying...……
    yes the potential is low... But I have and other who have experience on the ultra platform have seen failed filters get lodge in the exhaust and cause very high exhaust back pressures and excess exh valve and combustion temps , to the point the rings take a crap and or even piston failure due to these conditions...……… typically it happens a few hours after you replace the failed filter and assume all is good in the world...…

Then you have those like yourself who choose to remove it ..…….. fresh water not as big an issue...….. but saltwater skies then suffer from rusty plugs and worst case valves & Valve seats as you've removed the sacrificial item from the exh..

Yes all the arguments in the world will start that my ski starts 100% perfect ( BS) Ive got close to 1000hrs or more of combined ultra supercharged platform .. and my experience ( as a salt water only rider) is leave it in especially when there is 0.01% gains on stock to mild modded skies by removing it ..…..
    Last edited by sirbreaksalot; 03-26-2020 at 08:33 AM.

Do the na ultra have this filter ?

+1
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    Nope
    then why do the s/c skis need an ex filter if the n/a skis dont need one...the reason i took mine off is so i dont haft to worry about it coming apart and its easier to take the water box out if needed + i run fresh water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow jacket View Post
    then why do the s/c skis need an ex filter if the n/a skis dont need one...the reason i took mine off is so i dont haft to worry about it coming apart and its easier to take the water box out if needed + i run fresh water.
    Its because the exhaust system is a totally different design and doesn't suffer from the same rising moisture issue as the Ultra 250/310 platform does , but they suffer from different exhaust issues when also poorly post ride maintained and ridded in hard waters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information