Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

The perfect Bow Stop for the new ST3 Hulls?

Hi guys, maybe this has been asked before but I couldnít find the right answer if there is one. What type of Bow stopper is your ST3 hull hitting up against? I had a Gti 155 2012 with the older hull with a roller type stopper hooked under the hull and front bumper like in this picture. Is that the only way to go? Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91E0BB12-77B5-4448-9B26-B8DB85409050.jpeg 
Views:	350 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	459347  

I currently have the same thing.

+1
    I always thaught this would be a better setup, having the bow stop only up against the hull itself, hmmm.

Name:	0088814D-B9A3-465B-BFFD-6D298446848C.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	459376  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm37 View Post
    ... bow stop only up against the hull itself ...
    The bow roller and winch strap perfrom several functions. Once the hull is fully on the trailer, the bow roller and the winch strap work together to support the bow and restrain the bow.

That means the hull front is supported so it cannot move down (much) when going over hard bumps that flex the trailer, AND the bow is restrained so it cannot rise/bounce upwards.

My practice is to have the bow roller pressed against the hull, just above the bow eye. The strap runs under the bow roller and pulls the hull forward (and down) against the bow roller. Firmly against, so winch strap has significant tension.

The hull front cannot move side to side, cannot flex downwards (much) and cannot rise upwards.

In addition, should something very bad happen when towing and a collision happens at speed, the winch strap and bow roller are the primary things preventing the hull from jerking forward and potentially impacting the tow vehicle.

I would also recommend a secondary 'safety' strap or chain, linking the bow eye directly to the trailer frame. Not to the winch stand, to the actual frame. If the winch or the winch strap were to fail (it happens) during towing you want the hull to still be held in place.

Rear straps also have a roll to play in holding the hull down to the bunks, but I often see rear straps that have poor angles and weak strap calibre. Really good rear strap configuration would be close to vertical or even angled forward up to the rear tie down points on the hull. Ratchet straps, rated for fairly heavy loads.

I do like the orange Stoltz brand rollers. Soft enough to minimize friction abrasion against the hull. Personally I am ok with minor paint/finish scuffing around the bow roller contact area.

I want to know my hull is properly and firmly held in place on the trailer, even if an extreme event wre to occur.

A friend was towing a double trailer a few years ago. Another vehicle suddenly entered the road, causing him to veer hard to avoid collision. The double trailer twisted high onto one wheel, then came back down. His Seadoo RXP broke both of the rear straps and dropped the hull rear onto the road.

Imagine lifting your trailer high up and turning it upside down. Would the hull stay in place on your trailer? Mine probably would.
    Last edited by K447; 03-24-2020 at 01:11 PM.

+1
    Hi guys, maybe this has been asked before but I couldn’t find the right answer if there is one. What type of Bow stopper is your ST3 hull hitting up against? I had a Gti 155 2012 with the older hull with a roller type stopper hooked under the hull and front bumper like in this picture. Is that the only way to go? Thanks.
    What's wrong with it? Works great on every ski I've ever owned.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    What's wrong with it? Works great on every ski I've ever owned.
    That's how mine is

+1
    I never said it was wrong, I just wanted to know if this was the standard setup. I see now that some have the bow stop directly up against the hull and not under the bumper.

+1
    I never said it was wrong, I just wanted to know if this was the standard setup. I see now that some have the bow stop directly up against the hull and not under the bumper.
    How would it be directly against the hull and not under the bumper?

+1
    Yeah, I guess is the only way it should be.

Name:	E8E6CA13-35A1-4541-83D0-5C4FAECCB84D.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	459401  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information