Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GP1800 Struggles To Start. Ran Good Once Going. CODES 124 128 151 153 132

I took my 2017 GP1800 out last weekend for the first time in a few months. It started up fine at that time but then seemed like it was acting up at first while riding but just briefly like first 1 or 2 times I went wide open. Ran it for an hour or two and all was well, brought it home and put it away. Went to ride again this weekend and it started up ok again and was running fine. I shut it off a few times and it stared fine and ran fine.

I then went to start it again and it would just crank and crank and every once in a while catch like it was going to fire up but stumble and die. It took me a few minutes of cranking it multiple times for it to finally start but once running it ran fine. Parked it again for a little then started up fine and rode fine probably 2 more times. Went to start it the last time to head home and it wouldn't start again, just cranked over and would again catch for one brief fire and die multiple times. It finally started up and the alarm was going off with engine light flashing and red warning light flashing. Rode it back to the ramp fine and then when idling around it died after getting on the throttle a little and quickly letting off. Couldn't start it up anymore at that point, got it on the trailer and brought it home. Went to flush it and again struggled to get it to start but did finally and ran for a minute but then died and didn't want to restart so I gave up for the night.

I got my Maptuner X out and checked codes today and it has all the following codes;

124 Throttle position sensor (TPS)
    128 Throttle position sensor (TPS)
    151 RPS
    153 RPS
    132 Accelerator position sensor (APS)

I have been trying to do searches for different codes, tps, etc and am kind of surprised I haven't came across a lot of posts with info. Just saw stuff like people did a mod and then got a code and found they had a connector off, pinched wire, etc. In my case I have not done anything to the ski other than ride it. I assume it must have a faulty TPS which makes sense and in one of the posts I saw it said you have to buy a whole new throttle body at $1000? That seems nuts.

But then I have the other codes as well which I don't know what RPS would have to do with any of this since I see it is ride position sensor and the trim seemed to be working correctly when I was riding. Then there is the Accelerator position sensor (APS) which I am not sure if that is also part of the throttle body or what the deal is there.

+1
    Check throtle body

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    When using MaptunerX IIRC the recommendation is to unplug several (all?) ECU connectors, then hook up just the MaptunerX cable. Those disconnected connections can trigger codes, unrelated to the actual problem.

I prefer to use CANDOOPro system for diagnostics as it connects to the dash display cable, so nothing at the ECU needs to be unplugged.

When you were having trouble on the water, did you see any codes flash by on the dash?

What tune is in the ECU? Stock, stock with RPM/speed Limiter changed, or which Riva tune?

Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post
    Check throtle body
    Kind of generic response, what exactly would I be checking? Like I mentioned I have not done any work on the ski so nothing has been messed with.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    When using MaptunerX IIRC the recommendation is to unplug several (all?) ECU connectors, then hook up just the MaptunerX cable. Those disconnected connections can trigger codes, unrelated to the actual problem.

I prefer to use CANDOOPro system for diagnostics as it connects to the dash display cable, so nothing at the ECU needs to be unplugged.

When you were having trouble on the water, did you see any codes flash by on the dash?

What tune is in the ECU? Stock, stock with RPM/speed Limiter changed, or which Riva tune?
    Makes sense about the other codes showing, I had the far right connector unplugged to allow the Maptuner cable to go in the center port so maybe the other codes were from that far right plug being undone. I feel like I have checked codes in the past though and didn't have anything when I first got the maptuner.

Riva 1+ agr tune is in it. And only thing I saw when it was acting up not wanting to start while out on water was the same as back at the house. That being only when the alarm was beeping the very last time before heading home the engine light flashed and red warning light. The other one or two times it wouldn't start there was no alarm or flashing lights. Wasn't aware the dash would even show any kind of code though.

+1
    I just started fixing my ski last summer it coded Tps And Aps. I am going swap a throttle body from a working ski first. I needed to do a billet mount anyway.

Robert

+1
    Pull the hose and make sure the throttle body responds to the Throtle movement. Check it opens. All those codes could be from a failed throttle body.

Quote Originally Posted by 1_Fast_SHO View Post
    Pull the hose and make sure the throttle body responds to the Throtle movement. Check it opens. All those codes could be from a failed throttle body.
    Are you meaning when it is running or while off? I assume you must mean while off since while on it will rev up. I did try to hit the throttle and listen for throttle body after it failed to start and power was still on (dash lit up) but didn't hear anything. Figured I could hear it moving like with my car if messing with it while engine is off but it was silent in the ski from what I heard as I pulled the throttle (with dash lit up).

Once I get it to start it revs up like normal if I wack the throttle several times though. And the first time I went to start it today on the trailer it actually started up like nothing was wrong, gave it throttle it revved up. Shut it off and fired it right back up then shut it off again. I cleared the codes without taking a pic of them and then I went to start it a 3rd time to finish flushing the engine once I had went and got my maptuner and had the struggle to get it started again. Kept trying and it finally started and ran to where I could then shut it off to read the codes again to then come make this post.

+1
    I swapped my throttle body from an identical FX SVHO ski and was rewarded with even more error codes. At the end of the season last year, I had a TPS and APS.

Now, I have

124 TPS
    128 TPS
    132 APS
    134 APS
    151 RPS

Using the maptuner to clear the codes, and then re-read the codes, they come right back.

Any ideas? I can swap the APS trigger next.

Robert

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rcrisafulli View Post
    Any ideas? ...
    Did you put fresh spark plugs in as a first thing, before all this diagnostics began?

+1
    No. I was burning the fogging oil off first. I have another set to drop in. The ski actually coded on the dash the first time. But after restarting several times it did not code/alarm again. I need to hook it up to a hose and run it longer to see how it behaves. It was coding on the dash every startup at the end of the season last year.

I am going to try another diagnostic tool. The CandooPro looks like it has what I want.

Robert

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information