+1

Lightbulb 2000 GTI LE taking on water-can't figure out from where!

As the title says, I have a 2000 GTI LE 717 taking on water. The carbon seal is new and the jet pump has been rebuilt(two rides since this, this was the second one). On the first ride I had some water in the hull but chalked it up to spinning it around etc. The carbon seal does not appear to be leaking.

What I've checked so far:
    -Rode it without the seat on, could not see where the water was coming in from. Just that it was coming it at a similar rate to being bailed out by the bailers, and occasionally my bilge would have to kick on to help out.
    -Filled the hull up with water halfway, I found a few small drips from where a cable exists, and where the exhaust exists, but it was a small drip every second or so. At that rate it would have taken 2 days to get all the water in that is coming in.
    -Put the ski on the hose and ran it for 5-10 minutes(while spraying down carbon seal constantly). No leaks appeared from cooling system.

When I was riding it, occasionally it would seem like it was cavitating pretty bad and then the bilge would kick on. I suspect something with the jet pump, but am not really sure what to be looking for or checking.

On a side note, that plastic cover for the PTO actually has a purpose. Without it, when water starts to fill the hull the water is slung directly into the air intake which then stalls the motor and fouls the plugs. Ask me how I know....

Appreciate your input!

+1
    No one? Bueller???

My best guess is a weak carbon seal hose. They lose tension over time.

I had the same sort of issue on a 2000 GTX LTD, took me quite awhile to find it. On that ski, it was simply the pump mount screws leaking. They used to recommend Loctite 518 which is absolute crap. Used threebond 1211 and all was good after that.

+1
    Was the water cool or warm in the hull?

5. +1 by:

+1
    Tilt the ski and trailer back, fill with water to cover the rear area including the carbon seal area. If there's a leak, you should be able to see where's its coming from.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks all. So I did fill the ski up with water and tilt it all the way back. Well past the carbon seal, and there were no leaks or significance. I did pull the jet pump and found a missing o ring. Picture attached(hopefully, although I have been told that won’t cause a water ingress problem.

Myself: sadly I did not pay attention to that, which would eliminate quite a few problems either way. I hope to have it back in the water this weekend and will be able to report back on that.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA85A3FF-7667-4721-B232-FEE5509917DF.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	459375  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    My best guess is a weak carbon seal hose. They lose tension over time.

I had the same sort of issue on a 2000 GTX LTD, took me quite awhile to find it. On that ski, it was simply the pump mount screws leaking. They used to recommend Loctite 518 which is absolute crap. Used threebond 1211 and all was good after that.
    what do you mean by pump mount screws? The nuts that hold the pump to the hull? I just made them good and tight when I replaced the pump, but I did notice I could get another 1/2-3/4 turn on each of them after this last run. Will use loc tite when I re install...

Thread Information