Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cant get my polaris hurricane 700 started

Hi all, so i bought this 1997 polaris hurricane 700 from someone on craigslist several months ago during winter. He said all it needed was a battery and fresh fuel. Now that it is starting to warm up ive decided to try and get it running. I sucked all the nasty fuel out of the gas tank with a vacuum and bought a new battery for it. I installed the battery and filled the fuel tank up. Now when I try to start it the red MFD light flashes and displays "fuel", and when pressing the start button it only clicks. I replaced the solenoid and pulled the starter and checked to make sure its working. Which it is. I cant get it to do anything but click when I push the start button. So i disconnected the wiring from the starter and hooked it up to a 55 amp battery charger. The battery charger gets the starter to cycle the engine a few times before it dies and nothing happens again. Maybe the starter is weak and needs replaced? But I am mostly concerned about the red flashing light that says "fuel" and why it only clicks when i press the ignition button. Thanks in advance!!!

*BTW, I no longer have the previous owner's contact info, but when I bought it several months ago he showed me a video of it running and the video was taken about 2 months before I bought it. He said he had the battery terminals and fuel line connected to a different jetski.

+1
    Welcome to GreenHulk.

The red flashing light will not keep it from cranking. The fuel sender float will over time loose it's ability to float in gas. The float can be replaced, usually cost about $25.

You need to check battery voltage with a volt meter while cranking. The fact that it will crank with the charger means the battery is not charged or strong enough.
    Remove and clean all battery cable ends, especially the black cable at the engine.

Well the red light only flashes and displays "fuel" when I try to crank it. It goes away like 5 seconds after i finish hitting the start button. I will try the volt meter and cleaning the cable ends. I wouldn't imagine it could be the battery though as it is brand new

I just tested the battery. It read 12.56 stable volts, then while pressing the ignition button it fell to 12.4 volts but no lower. So I guess the battery is fine.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I would pull the jet pump off and make sure that isn’t binding up. Then pull the spark plugs out and see if it’s easy to spin the motor by hand.

Will do Mr. GP. Here is what i have done in the past 10 minutes. I wired the starter motor directly to the battery and the starter spun. So the battery is able to spin the starter. Then I hooked the battery back up to the ski and with the starter motor still out of the motor, I tried to spin it, nothing happened, it just clicked. Then, I pulled the starter out of the hull and put it on top of the ski next to where i have the battery for testing. I have everything hooked up except the starter isnt grounded, I ran a wire directly from the starter to the negative terminal of the battery. When I hit the start button, the ground wire touching the starter violently sparked and I still heard the clicking noise from the solenoid, but the starter still didn't spin. I have no clue as to why its not working.

+1
    Start solenoid could be bad

Thats what I was hoping, but the solenoid was the first thing I replaced on this ski.

+1
    I’d be checking the black ground cable that attaches to the rear of the engine case on the exhaust side of the motor

10. +1 by:

I found the ground wire you were talking about. I unscrewed it from the engine and as i pulled it up to sand down the end, the entire wire came right out of the hull! Apparently it wasn't connected to anything! Do you know where the other end is supposed to go?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information