Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So which oil will I use?

I've only got 4 hrs on my new FX SVHO but I'm starting to think spring and figured I'd start to stockpile my accessories, upgrades and oil change supplies in preparation. I've been doing some research trying to decide what to use for oil. Of course the reality is any oil that meets the required specifications would likely be fine. I'm inclined to believe Yamaha's marketing in that their oils are designed specifically for their engines and will provide the best results. On the other hand I usually lean towards high end synthetics and get sucked into their hype as well. Yamaha specifies any oil (of the correct weight) with an API rating of SJ or SL. Based on this virtually any current oil would probably qualify. I was leaning towards Amsoil Marine, Mobil 1 4T or Yamalube last night and was doing some reading between them all trying to decide. The 4T is motorcycle oil which I thought might be a good match since it's designed for wet clutches.....wouldn't that make it a good match for the supercharger? I then got to Yamalubes site and found that they do offer Synthetic, Semi Synthetic and Conventional blends however for their watercraft they only offer conventional. Again their Synthetic and Semi Synthetic blends are probably rated SN so they would likely be fine. Why do they exclude watercraft from these lines of oil if they meet the requirements...what could be different about the additive packages?

Last night while browsing Yamalubes website I came across their guarantee that I'd been unaware of. It basically states that if you use their oil they will guarantee their oil in your new Yamaha (or other qualifying product) against an oil related failure for 20 years or 5000 hours!

https://yamalubeadvantage.com/

Now I'm left thinking that there may or may not be better oils available but why bother. If they're going to guarantee the engine against defects (until 2024 for me) and the engine oil for 5000 hrs it seems to offer me the best protection. If I ever have a failure I don't have to deal with any finger pointing between Yamaha and an outside oil company. This if course brings me back to the reality that any quality oil would likely be fine.

I do think it's odd they only offer Waverunner oil in conventional when all of their other product lines offer synthetic alternatives....why would that be?
    Last edited by Supertoyz; 03-12-2020 at 08:43 PM.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I'd suggest you take a few minutes and read thru the terms and conditions, it does not cover "engine defects", and there are about a dozen ways they can void the agreement.

the odds of an engine failure ( not your normal wear and tear mind you) from the correct application of any modern motor oil are laughably low.
    As an example the Auto Transmission of KIA vans are fully sealed and cannot be drained ( don't ask how I found this out). They have a 10 year 100k warranty on the tranny. they don't want you changing that oil, ever.

You need to keep a ledger of maintenance that Tony Soprano would balk at. If you lose track of engine hours ( by way of an electrical problem) warranty voided.

and all receipts. I'd wager they haven't paid a .01 % claim rate on this motor oil warranty.

So this warranty ain't much more then a little chest beating. fine print matters

https://yamalubeadvantage.com/global...e-warranty.pdf

Agreed...why would any oil product cover engine defects? My point was that the OEM warranty will cover defects through my YES period of 2024. In addition the Yamalube guarantee would cover any oil failures attributed to their oil.

Yes, I agree that failures caused by the use of any oil of the proper spec are likely unheard of (I've never heard of an instance of this) Which I guess is my point, if the chances of an oil related issue are virtually 0% then why worry about what oil is arguably best. Just use the relatively inexpensive Yamalube...or whatever you prefer. In the likely 150 or fewer total hours I'll run a watercraft will I ever realize any difference between a $6 or a $12 quart of oil?
    Last edited by Supertoyz; 03-12-2020 at 10:48 PM.

I use Yamalube in my GP1800. I think most people warn against any synthetic oil with a supercharger.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by STG1800 View Post
    I use Yamalube in my GP1800. I think most people warn against any synthetic oil with a supercharger.
    10w-40?

+1
    I have used Amzoil Marine 10/40 in my 2009 FZR and in my 2017 GP with no problems at all.fyi

+1
    Yamaha doesn't manufacture their oil, they buy it from someone else that private labels it for them.

I can't remember an engine failure that was attributable to an 'oil failure' since they came out with detergent oils, except aircraft engines run on synthetic oils. Mobil introduced an aviation oil years ago that, it turned out, was not compatible with the highly leaded fuel used in airplanes. This caused massive amounts of sludge to form and caused a number of engine failures. Mobil paid to overhaul a lot of airplane engines.

I've never heard of any other engine failures caused by the oil itself, and I don't know how you would go about proving it. Of course, there have been many, many 2-stroke engine failures caused by oil lines coming off, etc. but this isn't a fault of the oil.

I would recommend that you look at the service manual or owner's manual and use the TYPE of oil recommended. Supercharged engines that have clutches have some different requirements than non-SC engines. It doesn't have to be the branded 'Yamaha'.

Yes! (Yamalube 4W watercraft performance) SAE 10W-40. Thats what they sold to me at the dealership when I picked up my waverunner. I don't think the GP1800 was listed on the oil change kit at the time but I think other waverunners with the SVHO were listed. I just done my second oil change at 50 hours so far so good!
    Last edited by STG1800; 03-31-2020 at 02:24 PM.

For 20 years I have been using Bardhal 10/40 on all ski zero problems

+1
    is it worth getting a different brand of oil rather than yama lube?

Locally it costs €30, how much would a replacement oil cost.. maybe €20? is it worth ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information