Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2000 1100 STX Di Muffler getting HOT and melting hoses and plastic

Hello all, I'm new to the forum, new to Kawasaki jet skis and I know this subject from what I read has been talked about before but I'm still stumped on this project as every line and fitting I checked seems all good. In the lake I took hoses loose and seem to have good water flow, probably better on a garden hose but I still think adequate when running it in the lake. The engine seems to run cool with no warning lights on. The Muffler seems to get to hot to touch with about 10 mins of easy running ( under 20mph). I have a good stream returning from the EEM and a good stream exiting the 90 degree fitting on the bottom side of the exhaust outlet where the muffler hooks to it. When I hook a garden hose to the T fitting on the bottom of the manifold, exhaust is cool as can be. I hooked here instead of the flush port to simulate it like it is in the lake water. I have the muffler unhooked and with it on the hose it doesn't seem to be hardly any water coming through the exhaust stream ( maybe a light vapor) but you can put your hand over exhaust outlet while it is running and it is cool as can be. After coming up out of the lake, I took the muffler back off and it looked to be completely dry on the inside, not even damp. First question is how does the water enter the exhaust stream? Two, on a 2000 model is there a water inlet filter back by the jet? Third, where is the pisser located on this machine? There is a pisser looking thing on the right side front of the hull and looks to be that the hose coming from it connects to the top of the exhaust riser, is this it? Any and all help is greatly appreciated! O also forgot to mention this all took place over the weekend in Missouri temperatures ( 65F w/ probably 40F water temp). And I also took an air hose and blew every hose and connection out both directions, no issues found.

+1
    Check the water flow into the pipe chamber. Run the engine either in the water or on the garden hose. Pull off the water line on the 90 degree fitting on top of the exhaust pipe chamber. Ensure you have water flow. If not, trace back. If so, remove the 90 degree brass fitting from the pipe chamber. Inspect the internal hole in water jacket to ensure its not clogged with debris. Also inspect the fitting. If you ride in salt and don't flush the cooling system may be clogged with salt deposits.

+1
    Haha.... your in Missouri, forget the salt water comment.

Ok I checked the water flow with it on the hose and on the lake, also blew in both directions with air hose at the 90 on top and back through hose to emm,, nothing found wrong either time. I did remove 90and looked down the hole and can see the inner pipe clear as day. This was done over the weekend but I will pull 90 out again and double check. Is that hose from the EMM to the 90 on top of exhaust pipe, the only way the water box (muffler) gets water to cool it? If I have a good steam of water coming the EMM hose to the 90 and the 90 is for sure open and clear the blockage has to be in that pipe between the 90 and the outlet of the pipe where it connects to the muffler, correct??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Proski21 View Post
    Is that hose from the EMM to the 90 on top of exhaust pipe, the only way the water box (muffler) gets water to cool it? If I have a good steam of water coming the EMM hose to the 90 and the 90 is for sure open and clear the blockage has to be in that pipe between the 90 and the outlet of the pipe where it connects to the muffler, correct??
    Yes, That is correct. The cooling line from the EMM out is routed to the top of the pipe chamber. This keeps the rubber coupler and waterbox cool. When you removed the waterbox did you happen to shake it to see if any of the internal baffles have broken loose? Did the rubber coupler between the pipe and waterbox melt?

Maybe the water flow diagram (copied from another forum member) will help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Water flow.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	458957  

+1
    Did the plastic noise resonator get damaged from the excessive heat, as well?

Yes the plastic resonator was melted beyond recognition. The rubber hoses that connect the resonator were bubled up on the inside but the rubber coupler from exhaust manifold to water box survived..I will shake water box when I get home and see what it sounds like. When I unhooked water box after coming off the lake (letting it cool a bit but still warm) it had no presence of moisture at all inside it, completely dry. I do have a heavy stream of water coming out of the lower 90 that exits out the back of the hull, I guess this is all the cooling water for the engine only, not the exhaust, correct?

+1
    Pull the front cover off of the stator housing. The 90 degree elbows are known to plug up.

I have a very good flow of water from the hose coming from the EMM to exhaust so wouldn't that indicate that the stator is somewhat clean?

+1
    I would check it anyway. Common spot for things to plug up. Could be something in the pipe broke and is allowing the water to go out the exhaust instead of the proper cooling passage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information