Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

+1
    Thanks guys. I know the fix is probably temporary and I will upgrade the holder when I have a spare $200 to throw at it.
    In the meantime wonít the factory bilge keep me afloat?
    I checked the lines and cleaned the pickup so it should be functioning properly.

No it wont, that system is useless

3. +1 by:

+1
    Here's the deal: the factory bilge pump is passive. It only works when the engine is running and the jet pump is sucking water from it. When the holder leaks, it typically allows more water in than the bilge pump can handle. As the water fills the engine compartment, it hits the driveshaft coupling and sprays water everywhere, including the engine's air intake. This eventually kills the engine--and the passive bilge pump. Then you sink. (Actually, it's not supposed to sink if the seat cushion and foam flotation are in place, but you might end up wishing that it had).

Buy a new Rhaas holder and you will never have to worry about it again (unless an engine mount fails). AND install an electric bilge pump. (It would be a good idea to replace those mounts, btw).

You bought the highest performance 2-stroke JetSki ever made, and it's over 20 years old. It takes money to keep them running!

+1
    Thanks for the input guys. I didnít realize these things had such a following when I bought them. Sounds like I made a decent decision buying them.
    Youíve talked me into the Rhaas holder. I will get that on its way ASAP.
    Regarding bilge:
    Since the factory pump is poo poo, should I just get it outa the way and use that real estate to mount the electric pump?
    Iím thinking I could use that bracket and fabricate something to hold the new pump securely in the hull. And itís prolly the best spot for it.
    Iím also thinking any of the pumps with mechanical auto switch will have limited lifespan bouncing around down there. Any pump recommendations?

I run a rule manual pump, i cannot remember the gpm been some time. With a switch mounted in compartment where the key is. I also run blowsion vacate drain valves. I wound leave stock system in place and mount behind battery.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Wow. Iím not sure how accurate the Speedo on these things are, but my son said he hit 72mph today

Not accurate at all. They will do around 65

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpac4 View Post
    So I disconnected the driveshaft holder and pulled it forward. I found a small tear in the membrane about an eighth of an inch long.
    I applied three thin coats of 5200 over three consecutive days being careful not to get any on the driveshaft or the flange area.
    I used white 5200 so I could see any area that wasnít covered.
    After curing for 24 hours I used ďThe right stuffĒ on the flange area and retorqued the bolts to factory spec.
    I let it cure for 48 hours.
    Tested and no more leak! We rode for about 30 minutes in choppy water with a few WOT runs.
    Not sure how long this will last but seems promising for a half-assed attempt.
    Fingers crossed.
    If you can't afford to fix it right, how will you afford to do it over?

Chester

+1
    Just thought I would try a fix that didnít require pulling the motor. It worked for a while but didnít last (shocker).
    I ordered a new holder from Rhaas yesterday. Itís parked for now.

The good news is the ďmysteryĒ ski that I originally started the post about (thinking I would need help) is actually running great, went together with no issues and starts on the first try, hull is dry as a bone and hauls balls.

+1
    I put my bilge pump on the left side, underneath the carbs:

Glad the other 'Ski is running well. Make sure you carefully inspect the oil lines. Replace them with polyurethane if they are stiff and brittle. Keep an eye on the jet pump, as the bearings don't last long and you'll ruin a pump if they fail. The Triple Pisser Mod is very important so you can monitor cooling water flow to each cylinder. Remove the display and seal the rubber plug on the back, along with the wires, so you don't get water in it when you flip it over. Modifying the trim to get more UP makes it a whole different 'Ski--much more fun! There are lots of other things you should check, but these are the main ones.

Finally, if you're not getting water inside the hull, you ain't riding it right!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bilge Pump 08.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	178.4 KB 
ID:	459530   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bilge Pump 07.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	151.0 KB 
ID:	459529  

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information