2018 Yamaha VX Cruiser VX1050A - Error Code 157

I have (2) 2018 Yamaha VX Cruisers (VX1050A) that I just took out of storage. These units went into storage without and issues but now one of them has an error code of 157. On land, the ski does not go into reverse (the gate does not come down).

I looked through many forums / search and it appears that code 157 could be one of the following.
    • Wiring issue
    • Gate motor failure (note sure exactly what this is called)
    I checked the fuses and none are bad.

Any suggestions on what to do? Or do I just bring it in for service?

Thanks in advance for your response.

References in case anyone else has this issue.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The integrated RiDE motor unit is mounted down low in the left rear of the hull controls everything to do with the reverse bucket and the nozzle trim (if your model has trim). There is a large wire bundle that runs from the RiDE motor forward and up towards the electrical panel and the wire harnesses for the rest of the watercraft.

Sometimes the large white multi-wire connector for the RiDE wire harness can develop a poor connection at some pins. Disconnect the RiDE wire harness connector, inspect inside for possible bent pins or corrosion, then firmly reconnect. Make sure the connector not only snaps into the locked position but that the two mating halves are fully seated into each other.

The RiDE wire harness connector (if it is the same as my GP1800) is located below and just to the left side of the electrical panel (left side of the hull, such as when looking down from the normal rider position). There is an annoyingly large factory plastic shroud that covers the entire electrical panel and makes it harder to see down there.

When looking rearward from inside the hull (and above the engine) the RiDE connector will be just above the engine exhaust pipe, tucked up close to the electrical panel right near the mid-wall. It is a white connector with about sixteen colored wires. Activate the release tab on the connector shell, then wiggle the two halves apart.

Thank you for your detailed response. I wound up tracing the wiring from the rear of the ski checking all of the cables and there was an electrical connection near the engine that was not pushed all of the way in. I cannot believe that this did not surface earlier over the 2 years that I own the jet ski. Not sure how this is even possible!

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I had a similar problem on my gp 1800. Id randomly get a ride related code. I unplugged and reassembled the connector to the ride motor and the problem went away

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by thejoefletch View Post
    Thank you for your detailed response. I wound up tracing the wiring from the rear of the ski checking all of the cables and there was an electrical connection near the engine that was not pushed all of the way in. I cannot believe that this did not surface earlier over the 2 years that I own the jet ski. Not sure how this is even possible!
    What connector was it that needed to be fully seated?

Sorry for the delayed response. See this picture for the connector that was loose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-03-22 11_17_48-IMG_20200314_104159456.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	459306  

Thread Information