+1

Gratitude .... (and a Reminder!)

Just wanna thank this ”Towing & Trailers” forum and several of you in particular for helping keep me “honest” as far as diligence when it comes to our several Triton pwc trailers!

Too windy and cold to do anything outside yesterday so, because of previous threads here I’d picked up a dedicated 14oz gun and Lucas Marine Grease cartridges toward end of last season so, I tooled on over to the climate controlled storage facility to flush the Dexter EZ bearings out on at least one trailer (the WC-1).

Glad I did! I found water intrusion in one due to a dry-rotted / cracked rubber seal (trailer is barely 2 years old with probably only 200 miles on it!) and which I was obviously too busy to notice during last season.
    Flushed all the old grease out replacing it with new and have a good quantity of spare / replacement rubber seals on their way!
    Kit King USA 10 Pack Grease Plugs / Hub Dust Caps

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...POTK5FFH&psc=1

Thanks again!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C1CD08FF-449A-423F-AF17-E1851D849577.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	74.5 KB 
ID:	458817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6AF4CE8C-12A3-4947-8585-6F48870B3082.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	458818  

2. +1 by:

Get rid of those dust caps! Just use a regular solid metal cap or a bearing buddy. I repack my bearings every year. I have 2 trailers. Both had those on them. I use bearing buddies on one and a plain solid metal cap on the other. The bearing buddies have been the best at keeping the water out. The pain caps ok but way better than those rubber ones.

+1
    Those EZ Lube type of hubs are a great way to ruin your bearings. Yes, it makes it easier to push the water out with the addition of new grease, but it makes much more sense to not let the water get in to begin with. Bearing Buddies hold positive pressure in the hub that prevents water intrusion. They will also let you know if the rear seal is in need of replacement. I use my trailer almost daily in the summer season and don't even look at my bearings for many years at a time. I just make sure the BB has adequate grease and I'm done.

I bought a one year old Triton trailer two years ago and I was blown away that it already had water in the hub. I pulled the hubs, inspected and repacked the bearings. I took the EZ lube caps off, removed the zerk in the spindle and installed BBs.

5. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    ... makes much more sense to not let the water get in to begin with.

Bearing Buddies hold positive pressure in the hub that prevents water intrusion. They will also let you know if the rear seal is in need of replacement.
    ... just make sure the BB has adequate grease and I'm done.

... Triton trailer ... pulled the hubs, inspected and repacked the bearings.

I took the EZ lube caps off, removed the zerk in the spindle and installed BBs.
    Agree.

Bearing Buddy on every hub. I use the SS 1980A version.

Carefully wiggle the Bearing Buddies loose (use a dead blow hammer, create back and forth rocking motion) when it is time to refresh the grease or inspect/rebuild/replace wheel bearings & hub seals.

+1
    Bearing buddies are the way to go. They're spring loaded to hold grease in and keep water out. Easy to install and remove. I like to add a little grease after every couple of rides.

Thread Information