Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manual I.A.C.

+1

Manual I.A.C.

Manual IAC Motor (idle air control) motor

Today I made a manual idle air control valve for my ski. A dedicated vacuum line from the manifold, one 1/4 inch ball valve, 1/4 n.p.t. x 1/4 barb fitting, 1/4 one way check valve, one 1/4 vacuum T, 4 foot of 1/4 vacuum line.

Now I can adjust the engine idles right were I want and the engine does not stall anymore. If I change the impeller, I can now make changes to the idle when needed. No re-flashing the ECM and can be adjusted right on the water.

The reason I made a ICA control for my ski is the hard starting of the engine while it is cold and the stalling while the engine is cold only. Now I have two idle settings one for colds starts ( that is what the Manual IAC is for) the other idle setting for normal operating temperatures, that is controlled by the stock throttle body and the engine`s ECM control. Once the engine is warmed up I close the IAC valve now back to a stock idle setting , check the oil, check for any leaks, put the seat back on and off for the day I go.... back to a stock idle setting for the rest of the day. It more like a cold start high speed idle setting just to start the engine and keep it running while it`s cold.
    C J
    Last edited by cjk6119; 03-10-2020 at 09:19 AM.

If you had a maptuner jesus can up the idle for you in the tune fyi

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhc View Post
    If you had a maptuner
    That`s great if you have a Maptuner, but my tune did not originate from a Maptuner so, thats not an option here.

Mwhc, a Maptuner costs $1014.00 vs a homemade Manual IAC $9.55
    I think I want to keep the savings of $1004.45 in my pocket.
    What ever happen to old fashion engineering.....?????
    Spending $1014.00 on a Maptuner just to adjust the idle.
    Last edited by cjk6119; 03-07-2020 at 07:26 AM.

+1
    I'm not understanding what modifications have been made that would necessitate only a change in factory idle...aside from modifications that would also require a reflash/tune to other aspects beyond just idle speed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderteen View Post
    I'm not understanding what modifications have been made that would necessitate only a change in factory idle....
    Forget the modifications or a tune, what about being able to adjust for cold starts, the wear a tear on the engine, adjusting for poor gas quality, age of your pwc, would only need a idle adjustment.
    Last edited by cjk6119; 03-07-2020 at 07:28 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Forget the modifications or a tune, what about being able to adjust for the wear a tear on the engine, adjusting for poor gas quality, age of your pwc, would only need a idle adjustment.
    Respectfully...I'm not buying that. We are talking about fuel injected engines here not old school carb'd 2-strokes. If your ski won't idle, there's something wrong. Forcing extra air into the manifold past the throttle body to make the ski idle isn't going to fix the actual problem...it is just patching it...

Example:
    Customer dropped off 2 MR1 powered skis last week. A 2003 FX140 and a 2010 VX Deluxe. Typical service/inspections. Both are high hour skis (previous rentals). New plugs, oil changes, new air filters. I was told the FX140 had a idle issue. Out comes the manual and I adjusted the TPS and idle adjustment to factory spec. Ski now idles significantly higher (idle was below 1000 rpm when I first ran it) and doesn't die when blipping the throttle. It also idles a lot smoother. The VX also got TPS and idle adjustment checked and the throttle body cleaned due to some carbon buildup. Its idle also improved although it wasn't anywhere near as bad as the FX140.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raiderteen View Post
    Respectfully...I'm not buying that. We are talking about fuel injected engines here.....
    Yes I am taking about fuel injected engines. Each 6ET engine is not the same from the factory and most fuel injected engines do have a IAC Motor connected to the ECM to make adjustments for a cold engines, a warmed up engines, able to make adjustments for wear, individual adjustments for the characteristics of each engine, changing loads on the engine, but this engine has no IAC to make those adjustments. they are called " drive-ability causes". Thats why fuel injected engine needs a IAC control. Jesus at Riva Racing is always being asked for idle adjustments. He is not making adjustments to patch up problems, it`s most likely what that engine calls for.

Take care Raiderteen

C J

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Yes I am taking about fuel injected engines. Each 6ET engine is not the same from the factory and most fuel injected engines do have a IAC Motor connected to the ECM to make adjustments for a cold engines, a warmed up engines, able to make adjustments for wear, individual adjustments for the characteristics of each engine, changing loads on the engine, but this engine has no IAC to make those adjustments. they are called " drive-ability causes". Thats why fuel injected engine needs a IAC control. Jesus at Riva Racing is always being asked for idle adjustments. He is not making adjustments to patch up problems, it`s most likely what that engine calls for.

Take care Raiderteen

C J
    I think you are over complicating the situation. Especially when talking about a stock ski.

At the end of the day, a stock ski doesn't/shouldn't need this. And if it does then there are other issues. Furthermore, if a ski has been modified enough that the idle has been affected...its very safe to assume you would be doing a tune regardless so adjusting the idle can easily be addressed.

Some older models (not knowing at all what you installed this on) have a idle air bypass valve to help control idle. On newer models with electronic throttle bodies it is very possible there is some form of IAC built in to how they operate. I'd almost put money on that...but I don't have a tuner (yet) so haven't personally seen available parameters to adjust idle. I would be very interested to see what the actual idle parameters are that are available.

I guess, to me anyways, I view this as a work around to cover up the actual cause of a engine not idling properly. To each their own...

+1
    A manual IAC is not to compensate for a poor running engine or the mods. A Maptuner is not going to help for hard cold starts, especially when the air fuel ratio is good. A manual IAC control will help the cold starts and that what I have experienced since I installed the valve.
    Hope this gives you all a better idea why I did this.

Take Care
    C J
    Last edited by cjk6119; 03-10-2020 at 09:20 AM.

+1
    One thing I forgot to mention is the Manual Valve raises the idle were you want it in increments 50 rpm s to 400 rpm s added., anywhere between 1300 rpm to around 1800 rpm s with no warning lights or codes. This gives me a very smooth idle now when cold. I think some of you will like this idea.

Take Care
    C J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information