Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SVHO Engine Breather Mod

I'm trying to finalize my plan for modifying my new SVHO and was wondering if venting the engine breather to the open engine compartment causes any sort of residue there? I assume the little filter on the end of the line catches and condenses the vapor...does it then drip? I'm really not concerned about the breather either way. I'd be happy to leave it connected, or disconnect it as long as it doesn't make everything oily under the seat.

The reason for the question is I'm trying to decide on which breather kit to install the Riva or Worx. I think from the pictures that the Riva has a nipple where I could leave the breather connected. I prefer the Worx with the silicone intake tube however it doesn't have any way to re-attach the breather so I'd have to vent under the seat.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Get the catch can from fizzle. That will keep everything clean.

https://www.4-tecperformance.com/ind...0s2a4dnpvdvbc0

i have this on my ski. Very well made and will solve the problem you have

+1
    I had riva on my sho.
    on this SVHO I got a little filter off eBay. And connected it to a hose, and hose to the block barb only about 6 inch long. Keeps it out the way and cheaper.

Is there any performance enhancement on this? Seems like it would hurt performance by not sucking on the crankcase

+1
    2 ways to think about it.

one way is sucking on crank case is good, and evacs the fumes and reburns them.

the other is your taking your nasty fumes and introducing them to your nice super charger and intercooler. Slowly clogging the intercooler with oily film making it less effective, and slightly leaning out out the mixture. As oil is not gas.

+1
    Don`t be so worried about the slow build up of oil on the supercharger and the inter-cooler, nothing will go that drastically south in the few months of riding. After than, the next summer, while doing your tune up on the engine you spray some 2+2 carburetor cleaner in the inter-cooler cleaning away any oil build up. Keeping the vent tube connected to the supercharger stops all the mess in the engine compartment as well as not smelling all those oil fumes from under the seat while you are riding. The supercharger provides a negative pressure to vent the crankcase. Removing it effects the removing of moisture, blow-by, increases crankcase pressure and a increases the build up of acids in the oil.
    Take Care
    C J
    Last edited by cjk6119; 03-04-2020 at 05:42 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Don`t be so worried about the slow build up of oil on the supercharger and the inter-cooler, nothing will go that drastically south in the few months of riding. After than, the next summer, while doing your tune up on the engine you spray some 2+2 carburetor cleaner in the inter-cooler cleaning away any oil build up. Keeping the vent tube connected to the supercharger stops all the mess in the engine compartment as well as not smelling all those oil fumes from under the seat. The supercharger provides a negative pressure to vent the crankcase removing it effects the removing of moisture, blow-by, increases crankcase pressure and a increases the build up of acids in the oil.
    Take Care
    C J
    down side to your set up is the air entering the intake hose is very hot (coming from inside the crankcase) and contaminated with a oil mist. This very hot air makes the inner cooler work that much harder to cool the incoming charge. For maximum horse power the cleaner and cooler air that enters the intake hose before it goes to the supercharger/inner cooler the more HP your engine will make, This is the facts.

the + side is if ur engine has a light coat of oil on it from the vent hose, it'll help it from any corrosion.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yellow jacket View Post
    the + side is if ur engine has a light coat of oil on it from the vent hose, it'll help it from any corrosion.
    Engine will have a coat of oil? You mean intake? Only anti-corrosion advantage will be a lubed throttle body if used in salt air, unfortunately the added mantinence of de- greasing the intercooler every season is just not worth it in my opinion. Have you ever opened up an intercooler after a couple seasons with the pcv intact,,, not pretty. I know there is a legit arguement both ways,,,,,just sharing my experience

Quote Originally Posted by Yamafzs View Post
    Engine will have a coat of oil? You mean intake? Only anti-corrosion advantage will be a lubed throttle body if used in salt air, unfortunately the added mantinence of de- greasing the intercooler every season is just not worth it in my opinion. Have you ever opened up an intercooler after a couple seasons with the pcv intact,,, not pretty. I know there is a legit arguement both ways,,,,,just sharing my experience
    we're talking about the breather tube mod or catch can. fumes from the breather tube mod or catch can from the crank case has to go somewhere if you don suck them back into the intake. im saying yes you'll have some residue in ur hull not that much but you will see some over time, if your going to turn 8600-9200 r's I don't know about lower r's but im sure you will. I have some in mine thats why I did the catch can and I turn 9100-9200 r's, but I still get a oily film in my hull after a long hard run. a friend had the stage 2 at 8500 he had a residue in his hull after 2 yrs of use with the vent tube mod. I was saying it will give your engine paint and bolts some corrosion protection especially if your in salt water.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information