In season storage ?

In the past we kept our Sea Doo on a floating dock that had a roof. We would put cover on it but it wasn't exposed to rain and sun.

To make more money, our marina has taken the PWC docks and moved them to an uncovered area and converted our old location to boat slip. I'm concerned about leaving the PWC on a floating dock exposed to rain during the summer.

Any advice or am a making a big deal out of nothing?If it has a nice cover that is waterproof is that good enough?
    I could store it in garage but it would lose simple access to just hopping on it and going anytime. MOst people at our lake just leave their PWCs out.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Where are you located?

How long is your riding season?

Fabric watercraft covers (OEM or aftermarket) are not expensive compared to the cost of the PWC it is covering. Sun fading and sun damage causing accelerated aging of the plastics, traction mats and seat material would be a greater concern (to me) than rain.

Constant sun and weather exposure will degrade the cover fabric so expect to replace the cover every few years.
    Assuming the seats and other hull openings are closed up while sitting on the PWC Dock, rain should not accumulate inside the hull. The foot wells will collect rain water and staining may occur.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by AxisT23 View Post
    I'm concerned about leaving the PWC on a floating dock exposed to rain during the summer.

Any advice or am a making a big deal out of nothing?If it has a nice cover that is waterproof is that good enough?
    Are they charging you the same price for uncovered docking? If so, I'd start looking elsewhere. You are losing value for your money.

Your cover is going to be even more critical now. If left uncovered, you won't recognize your ski in 6-12 months. The plastics and paint will be faded, seat molded, gauges may be ruined, etc.

In my experience, covers only last about 2-3 years when left exposed to the elements. It may be worse when stored on the water. I just bought a new cover that has a 5 year warranty - we'll see how that works out.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...47#post3061047

5. +1 by:

+1
    I agree with the guys above 100%. However i would cover the ski only after is dried insideout. You dont want to trap humidity inside a waterproof cover.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by OP. LOCK View Post
    ... cover the ski only after is dried inside & out.

You dont want to trap humidity inside a waterproof cover.
    Indeed. Dry the hull inside as much as possible. I use a portable/compact wet vacuum to suction water out of the bilge area and the footwells after flushing and rinse down. Then let it air dry in the sun with the seat off.

For salt water riding conditions I have also coated the engine with anti-corrosion spray. I used the CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion spray on my Yamaha engine (creates a slightly tacky and moderately thick yellowish coating) but I think BRP also sells a good metal protection spray. Apply to a clean and dry engine.

For the hull outside /deck, after thorough rinsing with garden hose (after salt water riding) you can use a (battery powered) leaf blower to blow out water from the footwells, upper deck, guages, etc.

Thread Information