Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Trouble shooting an 07 STX12F

Okay I got this ski free, My friend had it for a while and rarely used it has about 170hrs on it. Took it in to be "winterized" sat all winter. Filled with fresh gas and ran it for a few hours then had a low power "limp mode issue" took it in for servicing. Mech said he did a bunch of stuff to it ( have to get out the service order ) and then it would not start. Took it back to mech, mech said had no compression on any cylinder. ( i went and talked to mech and he said it was just cyl 3)

Which is when i got it. I took it home cleaned the plugs made sure it cranked without them in oiled the cylinders as i did not know how long it had been sitting. checked the oil level. would not start (new gas) had trouble cranking. I got busy let it sit for a few months, tonight i started fiddleing with it. still had trouble turning over. pulled plugs and cyl 3 was full of what smelled like gas, not oily but defiantly flooded. cranked over till it was empty with no plugs and a rag covering hole. has trouble starting but does start and rev, but will not stay running. i would say rings but does not seem as though oil is in the cyl with the gas. what are yalls thoughts?

First things first check compression. Does it throw any codes when its running? Also be very careful with gas fumes in these things. They are fire balls waiting to happen.

i can not read the display, possibly due to sun damage. and a new used display is buku bucks. previous owner stated it was in slo mode. now i do not know if this is an issue with the display having fluid in it or if theirs a critical issue with the engine. between this forum and a few others i have noticed that if your display is jacked, it can cause issues with the ECU and the motor not running right. i was thinking about ordering some polarized film and doing a repair to the LCD. but it will be for naught if the internals are jacked and un-repairable.

When i get paid im going to get an adapter for my tester so i will have more information on that probably this weekend. it kinda wants to idle but does not. and from what i can find kawasaki wants the compression test done when warm. so i dont think a cold test is going to be as accurate.

The cold test will be enough to tell if you have a problem. Look for consistency between cylinders anywhere in the 150-250psi range has been considered normal.

+1
    Sounds like the injector on cylinder #3 may be stuck in the open position, causing it to flood.

You can rig up a test jig to make sure it's opening and closing, but be sure to read the manual first. These injectors operate on LESS than 12 volts. Continuous 12 volts will fry them.

I had an '04 STX 12-F that had a display full of water and it ran fine. They did change up the slo-mode after that, but I don't remember how it might affect yours.

One more thing, check all of the wiring connectors. They are bad about getting water in them and corroding. The one in the lower portion of the right front of the hull with the harness terminator will no doubt have corrosion in it. If it doesn't, it still needs to be raised so it doesn't sit in water.

+1
    For the gauge issue. This is normal junk kawi gauge. This is a huge issue. Stock replacements fail too. They allow water intrusion. Smokeyseven has a post on this. People say to ground the Blue/Yellow colored wire to the Black ground wire that runs back to the ECU. I did this to get it out of SLO mode and it did not work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Sounds like the injector on cylinder #3 may be stuck in the open position, causing it to flood.

You can rig up a test jig to make sure it's opening and closing, but be sure to read the manual first. These injectors operate on LESS than 12 volts. Continuous 12 volts will fry them.

I had an '04 STX 12-F that had a display full of water and it ran fine. They did change up the slo-mode after that, but I don't remember how it might affect yours.

One more thing, check all of the wiring connectors. They are bad about getting water in them and corroding. The one in the lower portion of the right front of the hull with the harness terminator will no doubt have corrosion in it. If it doesn't, it still needs to be raised so it doesn't sit in water.
    Thanks for the info, in that case after the compression test, I will most-likely make some patch cables and a jig so that i can test the injectors on the factory harness without too much trouble, and less risk of frying them. Have not had a chance to go through all the connectors, any way (other than raising the height) to help with that? dielectric grease perhaps?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    On the 12f and 15f I can flash the ecu to a year 2004 model tune which does not have slo mode and should work without replacing the gauge.

Sean

UHHHHHG! welp got the adapter today, and now said adapter is stuck in the hole...... the rest of the tester comes out fine. un-threads from the adapter, which stays in the fking head. So the only compression i can give you is cyl 3 is at 120 XD fml.... anywho ill see if i can get it unstuck.... any suggestions?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information