Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2007 Sea Doo Challenger

I'm sorry if this is not the right place to post this.

I was just given a 2007 Sea doo challenger 180 with the 215hp 4-Tec. It ran great the last time it was use, but that was in 2015 and wasnt winterized. It was kept in the elements with only a storage cover for protection.

It was not blown out. I've read that the intercoolers are a common place freezing occurs in this situation. I've also read about the 100hr service requirement for the supercharger.

I have drained all the old fuel (it was 95% full for all these years). I plan to refill with 10g or so and add a fuel system cleaner, like SeaFoam or the like, and run it on a hose to get it up to operating temp.

A couple questions:
    1) can anyone that rebuilds this charger off of a PWC rebuild mine? It all looks the same to me.
    2) what do I need to do to check for catastrophic failures from freezes? Can I simply idle the motor (assuming itll start) and spray soapy water on the intercooler and look for bubbles?

What else should I be looking for? I want to have the SC rebuilt before i take it on the water, but think (assuming i can get it to run) I'd like to get it to operating temp as it is to look for any huge issues before I order sear covers and the SC rebuild.

Thanks for any help, and again I'm sorry if this isn't the place to post this.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Druuzy View Post
    I'm sorry if this is not the right place to post this.

I was just given a 2007 Sea doo challenger 180 with the 215hp 4-Tec. It ran great the last time it was use, but that was in 2015 and wasnt winterized. It was kept in the elements with only a storage cover for protection.

It was not blown out. I've read that the intercoolers are a common place freezing occurs in this situation. I've also read about the 100hr service requirement for the supercharger.

I have drained all the old fuel (it was 95% full for all these years). I plan to refill with 10g or so and add a fuel system cleaner, like SeaFoam or the like, and run it on a hose to get it up to operating temp.

A couple questions:
    1) can anyone that rebuilds this charger off of a PWC rebuild mine? It all looks the same to me.
    2) what do I need to do to check for catastrophic failures from freezes? Can I simply idle the motor (assuming itll start) and spray soapy water on the intercooler and look for bubbles?

What else should I be looking for? I want to have the SC rebuilt before i take it on the water, but think (assuming i can get it to run) I'd like to get it to operating temp as it is to look for any huge issues before I order sear covers and the SC rebuild.

Thanks for any help, and again I'm sorry if this isn't the place to post this.
    If the engine wasn't fogged, the piston rings are probably rusted out with pitting on the cylinder walls as well.

+1
    I've never has an issue with the rings rusting on a Sea Doo and I never fog mine. Your boat has an internal intercooler located in the intake manifold. I doubt you will have an issue with freezing, but its a possibility. A compression check would eliminate any cylinder or valve problems. If it cranks and run fine, get the supercharger rebuilt and enjoy.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    I've never has an issue with the rings rusting on a Sea Doo and I never fog mine. Your boat has an internal intercooler located in the intake manifold. I doubt you will have an issue with freezing, but its a possibility. A compression check would eliminate any cylinder or valve problems. If it cranks and run fine, get the supercharger rebuilt and enjoy.

Sitting for 5 years.... It was kept in the elements with only a storage cover for protection... Not winterized...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tiderider View Post
    Sitting for 5 years.... It was kept in the elements with only a storage cover for protection... Not winterized...
    Yes unless it was sunk or the intercooler was leaking, the old style internal brass ICs were bulletproof, I don't see it being a problem. Regardless, that's why I suggested a compression test.

+1
    When you get it running, don't run on the hose too long as the carbon seal will over heat when it's not in the water.

Update

After a new battery, fuel cell flush, and new fuel, the motor is running great. I didnt realize it, but the motor only has 71hrs, which seems super low to me for a 2007. I realize that it has been sitting 5 years, so I know to be careful with SC. Instead of rebuilding the charger that is on it, I decided to go with a new xcharger and 42lb injectors. I plan to sell the old charger back to pwcmuscle for the core value, and turn that money into a new impeller, with 14/19 pitch. With only 71hrs on it (while it needs to be rebuilt) what do the 7psi chargers go for used?

New seat covers are now made and shipping out to me today, as well as some other maintenance goodies, like oil change kit with extractor, some new stainless clamps for SC lines, etc.

Looking forward to getting it wet soon. I didnt run it long on hose, maybe 5 minutes. I also got a full shop manual for it, which will help me to avoid asking stupid/basic questions here.

Thanks for the help y'all.

+1
    After a new battery, fuel cell flush, and new fuel, the motor is running great. I didnt realize it, but the motor only has 71hrs, which seems super low to me for a 2007. I realize that it has been sitting 5 years, so I know to be careful with SC. Instead of rebuilding the charger that is on it, I decided to go with a new xcharger and 42lb injectors. I plan to sell the old charger back to pwcmuscle for the core value, and turn that money into a new impeller, with 14/19 pitch. With only 71hrs on it (while it needs to be rebuilt) what do the 7psi chargers go for used?

New seat covers are now made and shipping out to me today, as well as some other maintenance goodies, like oil change kit with extractor, some new stainless clamps for SC lines, etc.

Looking forward to getting it wet soon. I didnt run it long on hose, maybe 5 minutes. I also got a full shop manual for it, which will help me to avoid asking stupid/basic questions here.

Warm up the engine, shut it off for 30 minutes and do a compression test on all 3 cylinders. That will tell you if the engine is fine. Just because it runs/starts and idles, it doesn't mean the engine is in good running shape/condition.
    Last edited by tiderider; 03-04-2020 at 06:31 PM.

+1

I'd offer you $100 for SC, They sell for $100 -$150 depending on condition

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200305-020339_Amazon Shopping.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	458745

Will something like this do it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information