Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

2001 Polaris Virage 700 NO SPARK

Hey guys, I just currently bought a 2001 polaris virage 700 with a no spark issue. Previous owner took it to a shop and had a new stator installed, Still no spark. Please help!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

Click on my signature link, start reading. Lots of useful info in there.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

The Virage red carb engine has several common causes of no spark.
    For all Polaris red carb engines it is critical that the battery be VERY strong. Just being able to crank the engine is not enough.

There is a LR-505 module inside the electrical box that controls engine start/stop via the single button on handlebar. Bypass that LR module until you get the engine working. Details posted in many threads.

Note: We have found that some aftermarket magneto stators are defective from the factory. Genuine OEM Polaris PVL brand stators work well.
    Was the installed stator genuine Polaris or aftermarket?

Tests so far include: Battery well over 11 volts while cranking. I have 9 volts on the brown wire while cranking. i have full battery voltage on the red/purple wire while cranking. what i need help with is doing the lr 505 bypass. confused on the black/white wire part

+1
    Correct spark plugs are BPR8ES. I've seen what appeared to be brand new plugs not spark before. Replaced and got spark back.

i have the correct spark plugs installed

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky1 View Post
    ... lr 505 bypass. confused on the black/white wire part
    Which instructions are you following?

i am following your instructions. it says theres a black/white wire on the terminal board. the only black/white wires i have is the 2 for the coil primary and 1 for the lr505. nothing on the terminal board

+1
    i am following your instructions. it says theres a black/white wire on the terminal board.

the only black/white wires i have is the 2 for the coil primary and 1 for the lr505. nothing on the terminal board
    I think some Virage/Genesis models may directly join/plug together the two black/white wires for the LR-505, not using the terminal board. Other versions join those two black/white wires via the terminal board.

The LR-505 module has a single black/white wire. It connects to something else. That something else is the 'other' black/white wire that needs to instead be connected to electrical ground (black terminal group) during the LR-505 bypass.

Do not change anything to do with the ignition coils.

Press and hold the Bilge button to ensure battery power goes to the CDI, then crank engine to check for spark.

yes the lr505 black/white wire connects to another black/white wire thats coming into the electrical box. its does not go to the terminal board. Okay so the black/white wire coming off the lr505 is a male prong end. the other side of the wire is obviously a female end. so basically what youre saying to do is unplug all of the wires from the lr505. then take the black/white female end and connect it next to the black wire (where there is 6 terminals together) then i take the cdi wire that starts out red/purple and turns to orange, and connect that wire to the other red/purple terminals. is that correct?

+1
    yes the lr505 black/white wire connects to another black/white wire thats coming into the electrical box. its does not go to the terminal board. Okay so the black/white wire coming off the lr505 is a male prong end. the other side of the wire is obviously a female end.

so basically what youre saying to do is unplug all of the wires from the lr505.
    then take the black/white female end and connect it ... to the black wire (where there is 6 terminals together)

then i take the cdi wire that starts out red/purple and turns to orange, and connect that wire to the other red/purple terminals.

is that correct?
    Yes, that sounds correct.

I think if you pull off the red to orange adapter wire piece, you will find a round bullet connector on the red CDI wire that will mate with an available red wire 'unused' bullet connection. So the CDI red wire ends up directly connected to another red wire via mating bullet connections. This was the factory wiring method prior to 2000.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information