Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Problems with my 800 DI

Hey there this is my first time posting Iíve been reading for months and trying to get my 2002 Polaris virage 800i to run we shipped off the emm thinking that was the issue but it came back fine. Iíve checked just about everything all voltages checked out at injectors and Fuel pressure is good. I can dump fuel down the throttle body and it fires up no problem... I noticed today that when I crank the motor Iím getting no rpms showing on the MFI.. is that normal? Could I possible have a CPS/stator issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    CPS sensor problem, measure the sensor resistance

The CPS sends the start signal (via the EMM) to the fuel pump

No rpm showing is the other clue

Check the harness connectors too
    Last edited by K447; 02-24-2020 at 09:46 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan-virage View Post
    Hey there this is my first time posting Iíve been reading for months and trying to get my 2002 Polaris virage 800i to run.

we shipped off the emm thinking that was the issue but it came back fine.

Iíve checked just about everything all voltages checked out at injectors and Fuel pressure is good.

I can dump fuel down the throttle body and it fires up no problem... I noticed today that when I crank the motor Iím getting no rpms showing on the MFI.. is that normal? Could I possible have a CPS/stator issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Where did you send the EMM to be tested?

How exactly did you check the voltages at the Ficht fuel injectors?
    All injectors remain connected, while cranking measure white/red wire DC voltage to ground, correct?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan-virage View Post
    Hey there this is my first time posting I’ve been reading for months and trying to get my 2002 Polaris virage 800i to run we shipped off the emm thinking that was the issue but it came back fine. I’ve checked just about everything all voltages checked out at injectors and Fuel pressure is good. I can dump fuel down the throttle body and it fires up no problem... I noticed today that when I crank the motor I’m getting no rpms showing on the MFI.. is that normal? Could I possible have a CPS/stator issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    Needing a prime to start is very indicative of low injector volts. IF your EMM is good, then your stator/flywheel are prime suspects. Measure each stator winding pair, should be not much more than your meter leads. And check each winding to ground. Then measure open circuit AC volts while cranking on all 5 winding pairs.

+1
    pull the cps too to see if there are large bits of magnet stuck to it.

Thanks so much guys for the quick response I’ll check on the CPS tonight and get back to you! And I checked the injectors exactly like you said k447 I had 25 cranking volts. I thought it was odd that there was no rpm while cranking hopefully it’s just a sensor. If I need a flywheel, are they hard to find now?

+1
    Being that you have 25 vdc at the injectors, it is unlikely that you have a flywheel or stator issue. Captain Pete's recommendation to check the CPS resistance would be your next step.

The following step would be to check the fuel pressure, at the Schrader valve (tire stem in appearance), located in the return fuel line. It should be 25 psi while cranking. You can find an affordable pressure gauge here.

Hey fellas I appreciate the help I pulled the CPS no metal or signs of carnage so I did a ohms test on it and got OL so safe to say the CPS is toast eh? I’m not sure if they work like speed sensors but I also tried to stick it to a piece of metal and no luck. I’ll have to order one and report back I appreciate all the help if anyone knows of any CPS for sale let me know I’m in Nova Scotia Canada.

+1
    I suggest you take some sewing pins and pierce the wiring very close to the cps. then test it there.

due to vibration the CPS wiring sometimes break inside the insulation making it hard to detect. tends to break close to the cps end, within a 1/2 inch especially if your found the wire was not attached to the holding clip on the engine.

Kawasaki has the same problem on their two strokes, but the kawaski cps doesn't fit.

after priming the engine I'm guessing once it fires the vibration keeps the cps signal going

when the engine is running do you get any RPM indication?

might be worth the trouble to eyeball your emm connector harness ( yeah that's a pain isn't it), DO NOT probe it, just eyeball, clean, re grease and reconnect

be careful, I'm sure you found out how sharp the EMM bracket is already, but worth mention

After pulling the CPS and re testing on the bench I must not of had good contact because I’m getting a solid 140.5 reading so back to square one I’ll have to pull the plug on the EMM next? I’ve checked fuel pressure and have 20 psi I noticed I haven’t tried the LR503 bypass yet maybe that’s my missing key...I wonder if I should be removing the cover and inspecting my magnets if there is no RPM while cranking?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information