Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Now that I look at it I think it was added after the fact itís tied into two red/white wires....

Any clue where I should run that black wire? And I’m assuming the yellow and black wires go together

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan-virage View Post
    Now that I look at it I think it was added after the fact itís tied into two red/white wires...
    My recommendation would be to first restore the wiring to factory configuration. At least then we can understand what is going on as you troubleshoot.

With non-standard/broken wiring we really have no idea what is what.

Ok so I played around and noted that all the relay does is turn on the fuel pump as soon as there’s power to the jet ski. I tied the two yellow and black wires together and I’m now just waiting for a battery to charge so I can give it a try. It makes me wonder why someone would directly wire the pump tho...? I managed to crank the motor for a few seconds before it died and didn’t notice any movement on RPM... gonna charge and dump some fuel down the throttle body and get it to run long enough I can check it...

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    ahhhh attack of the shade tree electricans

one of the reasons I stopped working on stuff that is more then fifteen years old.

Shop charges to diagnose and fix something like this get painfully high

seeing this changes everything

on a side note the reason I asked about magnetic bits on the CPS....

broken flywheel magnet bits can fly around and cause intermittent shorts and make electrical diagnosis confusing

consider yourself fortunate a fire was not started

I assume the engine starts if the fuel pump is hot wired?

you want the pump to stop when the engine stops turning.

Make it right. You may have to replace the stop/start after all.

+1
    Some folks work themselves in pretty deep. I'm going to speculate the relay was added because an aftermarket replacement fuel pump was installed.

If you check the stickies, you should find a thread relating to aftermarket replacement fuel pumps. What we found is nearly all of the so-called direct replacements draw far too much current, 7 amps or more. The OEM pump draws approximately 2.0 amps. The excess draw of the aftermarket pump cause the fuel pump driver, within the EMM, to overheat and, hopefully, shut down before the EMM itself is damaged.

To work around this issue, some people install a relay between the EMM and the fuel pump. However, that still leaves an unresolved problem. The 12 vdc portion of the stator and EMM power board only has a capacity of 10 amps. So having a fuel pump that draws 7 amps or more doesn't leave enough capacity to adequately charge the battery for normal operation.

In a worst case scenario, the PWC may fail to start later in a day that has frequent start/run cycles due to a dead battery. At a minimum, you'll likely see short battery life as the battery fails to be fully charged which, in turn, results in sulfated plates---which is irreversible damage to the battery.

So before you get going too far, I'd measure the current draw of the fuel pump.
    Last edited by K447; 02-26-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Ok I asked my father if the fuel pump was replaced and he said it was so I’m guessing you hit the nail on the head. I’ll pull the pump... would this cause the ski not to start? I’m trying to get my hands on a fuel gauge so when i dump fuel in the throttle body and get it running I can check fuel pressure

+1
    Well, I wouldn't assume just because it has been replaced, it is wrong. I'd check the current draw first. That is fairly simple to do. Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.

+1
    You'll want to pull the fuel pump canister, regardless, to reinforce the pressure regulator. They are well known for falling off and when that occurs, fuel pressure drops to near zero. That and the potential for a clogged pump intake screen, from contaminated gasoline, is why I was inquiring about fuel pressure. See this thread for details on removing the canister and reinforcing the pressure regulator.

Ok I will pull it as soon as I can thanks again for the tips, I’m guessing OEM pumps are the only way to go on these. Im purchasing a new fuel pressure gauge as well for testing I’ll report back with my findings!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information