Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mockingee View Post
    I read the answer to this once but I’ve now forgotten. Are the 3 cylinder EMM’s compatible with the 2 cylinders for testing purposes?
    They are not interchangeable. However, what I can tell you is that if you put a 2 cylinder EMM on a 3 cylinder engine, you can start the engine on only the MAG cylinder (with the ignition primaries disconnected, the injectors disconnected, and the spark plugs removed on the other unused cylinders). I used to do this at Lakeside Tech for basic engine test validation (in addition to full bench testing) for 2 cylinder EMMs until I developed the ability to reprogram the EMM's, since I only have a 3 cylinder engine for testing. (Its rather unpleasant though, makes loud noises out of the spark plug holes, lol)

(I would think the opposite would also apply, running a 2 cylinder engine on only the MAG using a 3 cylinder EMM.

+1
    Thanks HiPeRcO. Since Iím only about an hour away from the OP I wondered if he could try one of my Genesis EMMís in his ski, or try his EMM in my running Genesis. That wouldíve let him know if he needed you to fix his. Probably wouldnít have worked out anyway as I wouldnít meet until this Covid 19 pandemic is under control and I have a feeling he, like all of us, hopes to be on the water before that happens.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan-virage View Post
    Iím in the Annapolis valley in the alyesford area
    Tip: Update your My Profile with your location info. Top right corner of the web site.

Makes it easier for others who might be nearby to know what part of the world you are in, and perhaps offer help, or know someone who is fairly close.

Ok will update that for sure.. wish there was another emm I could test around here it’s almost 700$ Canadian to have the emm repaired so I may just part it out at this point can’t decide...also tempting to take it apart and let a local electronics shop have a go lol

just wondering if there is any truth to the information on this board? if so i would assume the components i need changed are the SCR's and the voltage regulator? and after reading thro the forum i noted the C89 capacitor is know for going bad so may aswel change that as well im guessing?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan-virage View Post
    ... the information on this board? if so i would assume ...

... im guessing?
    Where are you getting that photo and repair info from?

Ficht watercraft EMM repair is quite tricky. It is very easy to under-estimate the fragility of the circuit boards and overlook things that can lead to merely temporary repair, followed by additional internal failures during subsequent watercraft use.

Merely removing the circuit board from the tacky gel material it is embedded into can cause circuit damage which may not trigger actual failure until later.

There are multiple known failure scenarios and repair methods that I have not seen described here or elsewhere. Several are quite difficult to diagnose and proper repair involves non-obvious work.

In the early days when no-one was doing proper EMM repair I posted some useful info, circuit diagrams, component part numbers and board photos. While that basic EMM internal info is still (mostly) valid, the art of EMM repair has since been raised to a much higher level by Lakeside Tech.

Even an experienced board and component level electronic repair technician is better served to forgo attempted self-repair of his own Ficht EMM and allow Lakeside to do the work. The customer service is exemplary and the likelihood of reliable repair is high.

found it in a google search lol i guess ill leave this to the professionals, my first choice is lake side for sure. ill be contacting him as soon as expenses let me i cant give up on er now lol

+1
    I can offer you a discount to help offset the unfavorable exchange rate. I've sent you a PM.

+1
    Be sure to package it well before sending it. It seems the courier services, at least the ones in NS, go out of their way to destroy parcels.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mockingee View Post
    Be sure to package it well before sending it. It seems the courier services, at least the ones in NS, go out of their way to destroy parcels.
    Take photos of the EMM before packing. All sides, including clear serial number and side sticker.

Before packing it up, I would always attach a sticker with my full name, phone number and my address, directly to the EMM.

Assume the package will be drop kicked onto and off every truck along the journey. Pack the EMM accordingly.

11. +1 by:

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread Information