Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Both ignition coils measure the same?

If yes, seems unlikely both would fail at the same time, in the same way

Service manual says 0.05-0.15 for primary’s. I read .267 on both coils.
    service manual says 225-325 on secondary’s. I read .575 and .654 on the secondary’s.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan-virage View Post
    Service manual says 0.05-0.15 for primaryís. I read .267 on both coils.
    service manual says 225-325 on secondaryís. I read .575 and .654 on the secondaryís.
    This is using the OHMS mode or the continuity test mode on the meter?

+1
    If you swap the coil primary connections (small wires, that come from the wiring harness) does the coil secondary (the terminal the plug wires connect to) that had spark stay the same or did it change to the other?

Ohms mode

I just trued swapping the orange and green for the orange and blue and have no difference still sparking on one side and not the other... ohms stay about the same

+1
    I just trued swapping the orange and green for the orange and blue and have no difference still sparking on one side and not the other... ohms stay about the same

OK, I'll spell this out. You state you have one cylinder with spark and not the other. You need to be specific with your reports and symptoms. My crystal ball is in the shop. So which cylinder has spark, MAG or PTO?

Now that you've identified which cylinder has spark, swap the primary connections on the coil. Leave the secondary connections (plug wires) where they were. Which cylinder has spark now?

Ok I’m doing my best to understand here I’m still learning as I go... so I had spark in the PTO and nothing on the MAG side. I swapped the primary connections and had no differences. I decided to go a step further and swap the secondary(plug wires) and the spark switched from PTO to MAG side.. hope that’s understandable

+1
    Ok I’m doing my best to understand here I’m still learning as I go... so I had spark in the PTO and nothing on the MAG side. I swapped the primary connections and had no differences. I decided to go a step further and swap the secondary(plug wires) and the spark switched from PTO to MAG side.. hope that’s understandable

Your resistance (ohms) measurements were the same (within more than a reasonable percentage of error) on both sides of the coil. As you had spark on one side and not the other, we can assume at least that side was OK. If the other side was defective, I would have expected a dramatic difference, from side to side, in your resistance measurements---which you did not.

That is why I had you swap the primary connection. Based on the findings you reported above, both sides of the coil have spark--just not at the same time. None the less, it tells us that the coil is fine.

So what's left in our process of elimination? I believe further back you stated you swapped spark plugs and both plugs had spark when connected to the plug wire that had spark. If not, you should make that test now and confirm both spark plugs are OK.

If the spark plugs are OK, the only thing we have left is the spark plug wire. Swap the plug wire and see if the problem stayes with cylinder or follows the plug wire. Based on what you reported above, I'm speculating you have a defective plug wire.

Now that you've been swapping stuff around, we have to be sure to get the primary coil wires paired up with the correct cylinder. A check of the DI System Overview diagram, page 8.6, indicates org/blue is paired with the MAG cylinder and org/grn is paired with the PTO cylinder.

Tried some different plugs with no changes I pulled my plug wires off and did a ohms test on both. One was fine and the shorter one if you move it one way or another I got a OL reading so safe to say it’s toast I’ll see if I can get some made up locally

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information