Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Ok so I pulled the plugs and don’t have spark on the front cylinder I had spare spark plugs tried swapping them and no spark against the head I also pulled the back one and it’s sparking but it seems random so I also feel stupid again because I only pulled the one plug before and assumed there’s that word that the other was ok.... where do I go from here

+1
    I suggest you let me (via Lakeside Tech) test your EMM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan-virage View Post
    Ok whatís the proper voltage at the TPS? I never checked that
    just did a ohms test on it and

... my gauge doesnít read exact psi but itís up past 20 ...
    Ohms is not a valid test for TPS. Where are you finding the info guiding you on your test methods?

We are posting specific questions, and methods. You are often reporting hand waving answers, and sometimes doing different tests that we did not ask.

Polaris used to use a different TPS type in the early Ficht days. And they did post an ohms test, which only applied to the old TPS type. That ohms test is not useful for diagnostics here.

We need voltages, measured accurately.

Ok I apologize if I’m being confusing and annoying i must have read some wrong information about the TPS I’ll try and follow the methods you guys give me. Not to sure where to go from here obviously having a spark issue as well I guess the coils don’t fail to often..? So maybe stator issue?

+1
    Ok I apologize if I’m being confusing and annoying i must have read some wrong information about the TPS I’ll try and follow the methods you guys give me. Not to sure where to go from here obviously having a spark issue as well I guess the coils don’t fail to often..? So maybe stator issue?

The TPS has three wires. One is ground, another is the 5 volt supply, and the center will vary depending on throttle position. Typically around 0.35 volts at idle position and close to 4 volts at wide open throttle. Measure and report back on each wire with throttle flapper at idle and full throttle.

Also, measure the resistance across the crank position sensor (CPS) and report back.

So did you or did you not have 25 psi of fuel pressure when cranking?

I doubt you have a coil issue. I've never heard of one failing.

You reported the voltage at the injectors was 25 vdc while cranking. That is normal and indicates your stator is OK.

Do you have a service manual?

Ok thanks for the reply I appreciate all the help. I measured the resistance in the CPS which was 140.2. TPS red wire throttle open and shut was 5.27 green wire measured .71 closed and wide open 4v. Black wire measured .25 closed or open. I do have 25 psi now for fuel pressure. I do not have a service manual really wishing I did...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post

I doubt you have a coil issue. I've never heard of one failing.

You reported the voltage at the injectors was 25 vdc while cranking. That is normal ...

I have had a Ficht ignition coil fail. Uncommon, but possible. The ignition coils are mounted directly to the engine and these engines do vibrate.

I have also seen the grounding of a Ficht ignition coil cause trouble. There is a thin metal flap that is supposed to link the coil to the actual cylinder head via the bolt. Sometimes the paint on the engine boss or corrosion in the bolt threads can create a resistive or intermittent ground for the coil. And a couple of times the metal flap itself failed.

The Ďinjector voltageí on white/red wire will measure differently when the EMM is actually firing the fuel injectors and the ignition coils. All injectors must be plugged in when measuring the voltage.

Ok I’ll take the coil off see if I can clean up the bolts and that thin piece of metal. I removed the plugs from the coil and noticed some white corrosion on one post. Is there anyway of actually testing if the coil is good?

+1
    ... Is there any way of actually testing if the coil is good?
    Ohm tests of primary and secondary coils, to coil ground strap.

And ground strap to the actual engine metal.

Only other test is to swap in a known good coil.

So I pulled the coil this morning and cleaned up the grounding straps and bolts. Scratched the metal mounting plate as well. While it was out I did a ohms test between primary and the grounding straps had .276 and secondary to grounding straps was .280 from ground to engine mounting plat was 00.0. Not sure what that’s telling me, I tried the plugs against the head again and still no spark on the one cylinder.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information