Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2008 Kawasaki STX 15f starts and dies

2008 STX 15f will start for a second or two then die out. Ski was sitting for a few years due to a leaky header. I pulled the engine and fuel tank and cleaned tank out and cleaned fuel pump housing put it all back together with a new header. Good battery, fresh gas. It will also back fire every now and then when trying to start. All 4 injectors spray gas when cranking over. Compression is 170ish all 4 but was hard to get a steady reading with my Chinese press on gauge. Need to get a proper compression tester and verify that. Any other ideas? I’ve tried everything I can think of but I’m new to the ski. May try to upload a video of what it’s doing if needed. Thanks in advance.

I’m leaning towards fuel pressure regulator. Anyone use this inline regulator before on a STX 15f? https://www.ebay.com/p/14028511408?i....c100854.m4779

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    what is the fuel pressure? a ski that has laid around for a while likely has a bad pump
    the spark plugs are also suspect. that's the obvious and least expensive place to start
    backfiring kaw engines can lead to hearing damage. some muffs might be in order.

Going to rent the fuel pressure tester today so I will report back.

SPARK PLUGS! Just because they look good doesn’t mean they are. It starts and runs pretty smooth now. Still going to verify the fuel pressure since the fuel pump has some age to it. Thanks for the help.

6. +1 by:

+1
    high compression can snuff the spark

same deal with seadoo

plugs get glazed easily and to the naked eye "look good" as you've found

good idea to check the fuel pressure anyway and the other threads on the forum relating to the 12/15 series. lots of good info there that can keep you on the water and your cash in your wallet

welcome aboard GH!

Fuel pressure is a hair over 40psi. looks like i'm ready for a water test.

+1
    It’s advised to put trailer in water start engine whole the skinis still strapped to the trailer and observe the engine bay for leaks before heading out pay attention to the area around the exhaust collector run the engine up to 3k rpm for ten seconds to be sure

Have a paddle on hand if your out by yourself the first time and stay as close to the ramp as allowed outside the no wake markers

Shit happens

Early morning is likely the best time as people get pissy if you block the ramp

Good luck!

Thanks for the tips. I had a chance to run it for an extended period on the hose today and it has a F1 light on. Can’t get it to go into dealer mode I think the buttons are broke. It is pulsing at idle from normal rpm to about 2000rms repeatedly. It will smooth out every now and then. If you stab the throttle it will rev out fine but falls back to the pulsing idle. I’ve read IAC valve? Any help. Don’t want to buy a whole new display for two buttons not working.

Also charging voltage is 16v. Seems a tad high.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information