Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    +1
    Keep an eye out on Ebay. You can probably pick up a display for half of new price or less.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    the symptom might well be the iac. Its not often an IAC that has problems from sitting unused resolve themselves, but there a chance
    the iac is pricey, you might want to check the throttle body for corrosion, there's spray for that
    16v charge rate is troubling, could be a loose battery ground or a wonky battery. what does the meter read on the battery when the engine isn't running? What brand is the battery?

and you don't want to spend a real long time on the hose, the jetpump bearings don't tolerate that well. You'll have to add pulling the pump/cone to check the bearing condition directly at some point soon. water intrusion can only be detected by eye ball early on. when you think you have a bearing problem its way too late

not the same as the ramp test

those consoles are brutal expensive. sorry
    a candoo code scanner can give you some info on the engine faults and sensor readings
    around $400 for the kawasaki sacanner. independent shop properly equipped might charge $50-100 just to read the codes
    forum store sell them
    consoles run around $500+ mostly

Yea i think i ran it for 2 minutes or so on the hose. I did have the jet pump appart and everything looks and feels good. Pulled the throttle body and it looks fairly clean. the IAC moves in and out when you bump the starter. I was using a battery out of my boat until i knew it was going to run. I purchased a new proper battery last night so we will see if that helps the 16v issue. I also have a spare voltage regulator from a donor ski so i can try that if the charging doesn't resolve with the new battery. The donor ski had caught on fire so the display in that one is shot as well. I Ohm'd out the two temp sensors and they seem to be ok. The Crank and cam position sensors OHM out good as well. Fuel pressure is good. Leaves me with the throttle stuff. IAC, TPS, IPS. The ECU isnt limitting the RPMs so that rules out some of the possible issues. Going to test it at the ramp this weekend so maybe it will iron itself out on the idle issue.

+1
    I don't call 2 minutes "extended"

please be a little more specific in the future so I don't waste time wagging my finger at you

on a side note idle air valves are very sensitive, manipulating the seadoo one manually will damage it.

since it is moving, after your water test if it's still bouncing the idle, check for an intake leak somewhere

might have a sticky injector a good run may work that out. I've used automotive injector cleaner with reasonable good results

in regards to the battery, what's the standing voltage?..meters sometimes can be on the inaccurate side if they sell for $25

I have a Fluke meter so i trust it. The battery standing voltage was 13v as it was sitting on the charger. Battery would be drawing very little current so maybe thats why the charging voltage was so high. I will report back after i swap in the new battery and check it.

+1
    Not a bargain, but here's one on Ebay for $500: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-ST...AAAOSwZK5eUTJB

I will say that the end goal is to sell the ski. So its a function of return on investment at this point. I got two skis for free one had caught fire and the other is the one I'm working on. I have put about $350 into it to get it to where it is now. Does spending another $500 on it make it worth $500 more. Not sure. Any idea on what these things go for? I've seen anywhere from $2000 to $4000 in my local shopping. I'm south of Houston Texas.

+1
    Typically, you can't get out what you put into repairs. However, some things like seat covers and foot pads can really make it a lot easier to sell. I don't think most people have a clue how much a display costs.

Well the jet ski being “free” makes it easier to spend the money however the display is a lot. Took the ski to the ramp and did the on trailer test to check for leaks and what not. It runs good with lots of power but about 5 seconds after you start it the F1 light starts blinking and the warning buzzer beeps. If you punch the throttle and quickly let off it will die. But will start right back up. I may try to find a dealer that can read the code without be buying a new display. Based on the symptoms anyone have an idea what it could be?

+1
    the book value of any ski is always less the obvious repairs it needs. You're going to take at least a $500 hit on a 15 needing a console and maybe not be able to sell it at all. People are funny like that

average book value on that model is $3000. see book values at kbb.com and nada.com

normal wear and tear means the seat and cosmetics and hull bottom don't need obvious repairs and there are no obvious engine, steering or pump issues

If you can show your buyer the engine compression is good and even across all 4 jugs you can get book value easily

if you can make $1000+ on it, that's $1000 you didn't have before in exchange for a couple of hours of labor

ask book and if you get guff over the console knock negotiate to $500 off on your ask. you rarely see working used consoles selling for under $400. they cost close to a grand new

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information