+1

Need advice on 04 12F jet pumps

So I have a matching pair of 04 12Fs. They have been salt water their entire lives. I bought them from the original owner, guy I knew, they had sat in a field for 5 years because he got cochlear implants and couldn't ride them anymore.

Fast forward to today. I pulled the pumps off both this Winter IOT rebuild them because they had been making a little noise and I was concerned with the ol "pushing the driveshaft forward and ruining the engine thing." Turns out the noise was the impeller hitting the wear ring because the AL has corroded and pushed the wear ring out...bearings were fine but doesn't look like they have ever been apart (200 hours on each ski).

I'm mechanically inclined, pulled and rebuilt then engine in one of these skies after I bought them...but I can't get the damn props off these pumps. I've soaked them overnight in PB, after map torch heating, went through some heat, spray blaster, drain blaster, rinse repeat cycles etc. I've tried a 1000ftlb dewalt impact etc.

I've already ordered the rebuild kits and wear rings, doesn't look like I can save one of the props because the spline teeth are pretty corroded...the rubber shaft seal was missing when I pulled it, previous owner must have sucked something up.

So, I figure these are my options and I need help to decide what to do.

1. Buy the Kawiperformace complete pump...nice that they have the double bearing setup but sucks they have solas props.
    2. Buy 2 new vane guides, 2 new shafts and 2 new skat-trak props, and use the parts I already have on the way. This still leaves me with the old suspect pump bearing setup.

Sorry for the novel but what would you guys do?

+1
    Sooo, today I did manage to get one of the impellers off and the wear ring cut out...but the other one is still being stubborn.

The one that won't come apart is the one with the suspect prop threads anyways but if I could get the dang impeller to break loose it would save me the 300 for a new housing.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    to deal with with a bugged up saltwater housing is pain. I'd suggest a used pump before you hurt yourself.

I don't say this often, but you'd be foolish to ignore this particular bit of advice.

Cost wise, used is a deal mostly as new OEM has orbital prices. Luckily, it's off season now for most.
    during the season, used kaw pumps can be tricky to buy

+1
    You can cut out the old wear ring, buy on from a company in in fla for 70 bucks on ebay. I have a whole write up on this I did years ago on here. Not that hard.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=247134
    Last edited by TJS0712F; 02-26-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by thastinger View Post
    Sooo, today I did manage to get one of the impellers off and the wear ring cut out...but the other one is still being stubborn.

The one that won't come apart is the one with the suspect prop threads anyways but if I could get the dang impeller to break loose it would save me the 300 for a new housing.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4443.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	458559Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4894.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	458560

200.00 as it is if you need it. Impeller is “ok” not great. But hey that’s why 200. No cone.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rlovebk View Post

Name:	IMG_4443.jpg 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	458559Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4894.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	458560

200.00 as it is if you need it. Impeller is “ok” not great. But hey that’s why 200. No cone.

Name:	IMG_4893.jpg 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	458561

Thread Information