Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bubbles on Oil Cap

I've got a 2012 FX SHO, and there are bubbles on my oil cap after running on the hose for 2-3 minutes. Is this normal? It is not overfilled--about half-way on the dip stick.

Also, are those droplets in the head oil or water? I'm hoping oil, and there is no other indication of water in the oil--dipstick, etc.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200222_145941.jpg 
Views:	219 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	458387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200222_145618.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	458388  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebeest View Post
    I've got a 2012 FX SHO, and there are bubbles on my oil cap after running on the hose for 2-3 minutes. Is this normal? It is not overfilled--about half-way on the dip stick.
    Also, are those droplets in the head oil or water? I'm hoping oil, and there is no other indication of water in the oil--dipstick, etc.
    First of all WELCOME to the forum Wildbeest

Now looking down in the valve cover via the oil fill cap, that to me looks like water. First take the valve cover off and see if that is water or not. If it is, are you able to pressure test the cooling system or are you able to just run some compressed air through the cooling system and look for bubbles in the area near the head bolts?

Take Care
    CJ

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Water is a byproduct of gasoline combustion. Blowby of combustion gases past the piston rings and into the engine crankcase is also normal.

Typically when the engine is run hard for long enough the internal temperatures are hot enough to evaporate the moisture and it works it’s way out via the crankcase ventilation system.

So the first question might be - when was this engine last run at speed on the water? Has it been sitting for a long time since?

If the engine has recently been run cold or just up to slightly warm, such as several starts and idle on the trailer, the moisture might just be an artifact of the engine not getting up to full heat.

4. +1 by:

CJ, Thanks!

With the valve cover off, I honestly have to admit I don't know what I'm looking at and can't tell if it's water. Now that it hasn't run in a couple of hours, I don't see any more droplets like I saw through the oil cap. The oil does not look like traditional motor oil and there aren't water-looking droplets in the oil or separating from the oil how I would expect it to look with water in it.

I take this ski about 15-20 miles offshore fishing in the gulf of mexico so am just trying to make 100% sure everything is okay before going back out this year.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200222_174536.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	458391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200222_174530.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	458392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200222_174611.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	458393  

K447, I ran it hard about 2 weeks ago on a nearby lake, and after idling around and going around in no-wake mode for about 30 minutes (testing a new fish finder), I went WOT for a few minutes and got an oil pressure alarm. I killed the engine, checked, the oil, and everything seemed okay, except it was a little over the full mark. I started it back up with no alarm and after no alarm going back to the dock, I rode around pretty hard for about 20 more minutes to try to recreate the problem and it did not happen again. I talked to the dealer, who had replaced the supercharger clutch a few weeks before this ride, and he said it was likely just a sensor glitch and if the alarm didn't come back on, not to worry about it. He recommended pumping out a little oil to get the oil level right. I pumped out a little oil, and replaced the oil filter and spark plugs today, and ran it on the trailer for about 5 minutes, then observed the foamy looking oil on the cap, and because I'm paranoid now, I figured I'd ask these experts.

I'm going to put it all back together and ride it hard again tomorrow to see how it does, and pull the valve cover to look for water right after that to see if there is any water since I'd imagine it'd be more obvious, then.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebeest View Post
    ... The oil does not look like traditional motor oil ...

Hmmm - oil that looks like ‘milkshake’ is indicative of water mixed into the oil.

Which type of oil cooler is on this engine?
    Is it the ‘stacked plate’ design, which is known to fail?

When idling in calm water did/do you see an oily film sheen around the side where the oil cooler water flow exits?

+1
    More than likely K447 is spot on, there is always a lot of condensation in these motors going from cold to just warming up and then stopping the engine. A motor needs to be run at engine/oil operating temperature for a while to keep the gases and condensation from forming in the oil. I assume you still have the engine thermostat in the motor to be sure the engine/oil is getting to proper operating temperature. Also what is the current water temperature where you are ridding? For safety I would check the oil on the dip stick from time to time to be sure it is not getting milky looking. Do you have any water cooling mods to this motor?

I'm not sure on the type of oil cooler, but I believe the oil cooler water flows out the left (port) and the intercooler on the right side (starboard). I didn't notice an oily sheen in the water, and when I ran it on the hose today, it was inside a garage, and the water from the left side has mostly dried up on the garage floor and there is no oil residue on the floor.

There are no cooling mods, and the thermostat is still in place. This ski is totally stock mechanically. The oil on the dipstick always looks fine, and the oil I drained out today before starting it or running it also looked good with no apparent water. I dropped some water in the oil I extracted just to see what water would look like in this oil, and it stayed pretty obviously separated.

The water temperature was 58, air temperature 70 when I ran it on the lake. The air temperature today was 61 when running on the hose. Humidity today was 81% since I'd assume that makes a difference for condensate, as well.

For tomorrow, I expect riding conditions will be similar with 58-60 degree water and about 70 degree air. I will keep a close eye on the dipstick.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Hmmm - oil that looks like ‘milkshake’ is indicative of water mixed into the oil.

Which type of oil cooler is on this engine?
    Is it the ‘stacked plate’ design, which is known to fail?

When idling in calm water did/do you see an oily film sheen around the side where the oil cooler water flow exits?
    Yamaha does not use a stacked plate oil cooler. Sea Doo does us that design. Better to stay in your swim lane if you've never owned or worked on a certain model jet ski. Yamaha oil coolers are known to fail/leak. That's definitely not condensation, but it is water in the oil. I would suspect the oil cooler.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    Yamaha does not use a stacked plate oil cooler...
    This is the problematic Yamaha oil cooler I was referring to.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=284391&p=3059393&viewfull=1#post3 059393

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information