Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

+1
    sorry to here the news, looks like you may have a cracked head.

+1
    Yup...time to start diagnosing

+1
    Wildbeest, are you the first owner?
    How many hours on the ski?
    Has there been a tune done to the ECU?

First make sure that thermostat is not stuck open, take the stat out and see if it is in the open position., it should be closed position. If it is stuck open replace with new, if okay time to pressure test head and look for leaks using compressed air and checking for cracks near the head bolts. On the exhaust side is most common.

When you do find what is wrong, then change the oil. Don't leave the oil in the engine with water and oil mixture, then refill with fresh oil. Then pull the head, you don't want things rusting while you are waiting on a head. Because you ride in the ocean, the mixture of salt water with the oil will do a lot of damage in a short time if you don't change the oil.

CJ
    Last edited by cjk6119; 02-24-2020 at 09:42 AM.

4. +1 by:

I'm the second owner, and bought it in August of last year from the local dealer with 110 hours, and it's got 155 hours on it now. Previous owner used it primarily in salt water, and so do I.

I understand that it is totally stock. I've added a second battery, a 1100 GPH bilge pump and some electrical mods for fishing, but no mechanical mods.

Dealer convinced me to buy a YES warranty, which I kind of felt was an $800 rip off on a $7000 ski at the time, but am glad I got now. Dealer replaced the supercharger clutch in December under warranty, and the first signs of water in the oil were after my first ride after that replacement.

I wanted to check everything I could before taking it to the dealer because based on my last experience, it's a guaranteed month in the shop when I take it in for warranty work.

Thermostat is closed, and it opens if pull the metal insert, but I actually can't get the thermostat out. I tried a little prying with a screwdriver, but I didn't get aggressive for fear of breaking it. There was some corrosion on the housing around it, and the aluminum/corrosion byproduct around it flaked off if I tried to pry against it.

+1
    Well if you have a warranty with the ski and you are not going to do the repairs yourself, still do the oil change. You don't know how long the ski will sit till the dealer looks at it your ski. You don't want to do any damage to the engine on your part. Just looking out for you.

Take Care
    CJ
    Last edited by cjk6119; 02-25-2020 at 12:21 AM.

7. +1 by:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information