Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I will take a look at the oil cooler and how to pull it for pressure testing before running in the water again.

Also, when I was going to put the valve cover back on, I noticed this random plastic piece just sitting inside the head next to the timing chain. Anyone know what this is or where it should go?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200222_203655.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	458394   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200222_203639.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	458395  

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    This is the problematic Yamaha oil cooler I was referring to.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=284391&p=3059393&viewfull=1#post3 059393

This is not the oil cooler on my ski just from looking at it.

And I figured out what that plastic piece is. It was glued to the valve cover over the timing chain.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wildebeest View Post

That plastic part does not belong there, it looks to me as part of the chain guide.

Let's go back to the water in the engine, like it was earlier explained that there is always a lot of condensation in these motors going from cold to just warming up and then stopping the engine. A motor needs to be at engine/oil operating temperature for a while to keep the gases and condensation from forming in the oil.

The water that Mr Wildbeest was riding in he said was 58f but he did not notice any water in the oil till he was connected to a garden hose. So what was the temp of his water coming from his garden hose? It could be like mine 47f because I am near the city water tower that is 150 feet in the cold air. Could it be that the water he was using and the short time the engine is running at not at operating temperature just normal for now and that's why there is condensation inside his engine?????? Are we all just over overthinking this presumed problem and overlooking the temp of the garden hose that was being used was a normal condition at that time?

I want to be clear, that I was not dismissing anyone's hypothesis on Mr Wildbeets`s ski now. But sometimes people can overlook the obvious things.

Anyway I hope I might have added something to the mix here.

Take Care
    CJ
    Last edited by cjk6119; 02-23-2020 at 09:07 AM. Reason: sp

+1
    Mine does this in the winter time from the temperature swing in storage...check the oil on the dip stick... Is it milky if not your fine. It's condensation. And burn off.

+1

Can anyone tell me what are the two aluminum rectangular plates that cover the camshaft are for?

+1
    The plastic piece is mounted to the top of the valve cover. Yamaha uses a weak glue and these tend to fall off. I forgot what I used to glue it back on but it was a strong adhesive that was oil resistant. Make sure you clean the mating surfaces. I used acetone and glued it back on.

Thanks, all. Any harm in running it hard today to see if the water burns off?

The water on the hose was from a tap in Houston. The water from the tap is right around 50 degrees, but I couldn't get a precise measurement.

The dipstick looks totally normal--no bubbles, froth or milky looking oil. Also, there is no indication that there has been water in the cylinders. Spark plugs look okay. #3 cylinder spark plug has corrosion on the outside. The inside of the cylinder seems to look normal.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200222_150822.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	458400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder 3.png 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	458401  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cjk6119 View Post
    Can anyone tell me what are the two aluminum rectangular plates that cover the camshaft are for?
    they are cam top saddles that help hold the cam in place. they are part of the head and are align bored on the head for the cam top cap plate. this part comes with the head and can not be purchased separately from head.

+1
    Thanks, all. Any harm in running it hard today to see if the water burns off?

The water on the hose was from a tap in Houston. The water from the tap is right around 50 degrees, but I couldn't get a precise measurement.

The dipstick looks totally normal--no bubbles, froth or milky looking oil. Also, there is no indication that there has been water in the cylinders. Spark plugs look okay. #3 cylinder spark plug has corrosion on the outside. The inside of the cylinder seems to look normal.

re glue plastic cam guide on valve cover then you a good to go just keep a check on dip stick oil for milky look on oil if you don't see any problems you should be good to go.

After about an hour of the engine running continuously and cruising/hard riding today, I think we've got water in the oil, and not just condensate. There was milky oil and bubbles on the dipstick this time. Couldn't get the camera to focus on the dipstick to show it well enough. But here was the head. The same milky looking oil, but more of it and some water droplets.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200223_150609.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	458405

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information