2016 GTX 155 S vs. 2017 GTI SE 155

Hey there everyone,

I know questions like this get asked a lot (Iím on other forums as well) and usually I donít need help deciding between two machines. But Iím truly undecided on this. I just sold my 2013 Yamaha VX Cruiser with 103 trouble free hours and now Iím looking at 2 different skis and planning on purchasing one of them. I am familiar with this generation of Seadooís as I do all of the yearly maintenance on my in-laws pair of Ď16 GTI SE 130ís. The skis are as follows:

2016 GTX 155 S
    24 hours
    2016 Continental galvanized trailer.
    Mainly fresh water use according to the owner.
    He is asking $7500 and I am paying off the remainder of the loan.
    Iíd really like to have the S3 hull as I ride out in the St Johns River and ocean quite a bit. It can get pretty nasty and having the deeper hull would make for a more confident ride. Plus it has really low hours for its year.
    My concerns: the suspension model looks like it rides well but it comes at the penalty of losing storage space and it looks like a nightmare to do any maintenance on. I do all of my own maintenance and I would rather avoid the headache of having to take the ski half apart to do basic repairs.

2017 GTI SE 155
    62 hours
    2019 Continental galvanized trailer.
    Garmin 62cv echomap fish finder and Engel cooler with rod holders.
    Used in salt water but flushed and washed thoroughly according to owner.
    He is asking $7000 and I am paying off the remainder of the loan.
    I enjoy the simplicity of the GTI along with it not being a suspension model. Also I have worked on basically this same ski before and that makes me feel a little better.
    My concerns: itís spent pretty much itís whole life in salt water. I know with proper flushing and care that really doesnít mean much, however I would have to look this ski over very carefully to make sure there isnít excessive corrosion on the unit. I too used my last ski in brackish to salt water almost exclusively but I was religious about using salt away and washing the unit throughly.

Would there be any performance difference between the two as well? I welcome all educated opinions.

posted from mobile, grammar will suck

+1
    if this were GTX vs GTI I would easily say GTX because i have GTI's and want the longer hull but you have to pick between GTX S and GTI. just based off what i have read I would not buy an S model. hopefully someone with more experience with them will comment but i have yet to see any positive with them.

the GTI will be a great ride. since Seadoo is closed loop cooling the only thing exposed to salt water would be the exhaust and if flushed correctly should keep that healthy. of course inspect everything on it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by offset_addict View Post
    Would there be any performance difference between the two as well?
    Same engine, so there should be very little performance differences.

Properly maintained salt skis are as good as fresh water.

Based on your needs (less the rough water riding), I'd go with GTI.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone! I am leaning towards the GTI simply for the fact that I don’t want the headache of the suspension model. I’m still talking to the guy to see if I can get the price down a tad. Blue book is 5800-8300 so even at 7000 it’s not too bad I don’t think. Can’t hurt to try tho.

Thread Information