Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

19 VX Cruiser HO Mods.

Hate to be the one that asks another Riva thru hull exhaust question but I have been kicking around spending some money to get a little more out of my Yamaha. I was just gonna do the free flow but people are telling me to just spend the extra cash for the thru hull setup. I know I'm not gonna get performance but will get sound. Is there a big difference between the 2? And then I see some recommending the TJ mod my just removing the resignator and plugging the hole. I come from a racing background in motorcycle's so noise is not an issue with me but if I can get a little more throttle response would be great since I'm adding intake grate, ride plate, impeller and pump seal kit. Any help and suggestions will be great.

Thanks.

+1
    We built two skis one with exhaust and one with the Tj mod. Nearly identical speed wise.
    Last edited by Saum700p; 02-17-2020 at 02:38 AM.

3. +1 by:

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    The free flow sounds awful. That’s why the through hull is better

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    The free flow sounds awful. That’s why the through hull is better
    Does the free flow sound awful with Riva’s waterbox as well? I am also about to make a decision on a new exhaust setup as I want to get a little more sound out of it.

I am having concerns over drilling the big hole for the through hull exit as I feel that will affect the integrity of the hull. Any validity to this?

Will the through hull exhaust with Riva’s waterbox call for a tune?

Don’t mean to hijack the thread - just feel these questions might also be applicable to OP.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by i_trance View Post
    Does the free flow sound awful with Riva’s waterbox as well? I am also about to make a decision on a new exhaust setup as I want to get a little more sound out of it.

I am having concerns over drilling the big hole for the through hull exit as I feel that will affect the integrity of the hull. Any validity to this?

Will the through hull exhaust with Riva’s waterbox call for a tune?

Don’t mean to hijack the thread - just feel these questions might also be applicable to OP.
    I wouldn't worry about drilling the hull. I've done both of my '18's in rear exit.

+1
    Double post
    Last edited by Saum700p; 02-17-2020 at 04:53 PM.

I bought a plug from Jim's xtreme creations and it sounds great. There's a certain RPM where it drums your ears pretty good though. It's a different kind of vibration pulse in your ear that's annoying, not like something from a motorcycle. I would have returned the free flow exhaust without a doubt.
    Last edited by LivingSlow; 02-18-2020 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Added Free Flow Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by LivingSlow View Post
    I bought a plug from Jim's xtreme creations and it sounds great. There's a certain RPM where it drums your ears pretty good though. It's a different kind of vibration pulse in your ear that's annoying, not like something from a motorcycle. I would have returned the through the hull exhaust without a doubt.
    Do you know if the same applies with Riva’s waterbox?

Quote Originally Posted by i_trance View Post
    Do you know if the same applies with Riva’s waterbox?
    Not sure how the free flow will respond with a RIVA Waterbox. I meant to say freeflow in my post above and will update it. I was told somewhere that the RIVA waterbox would slow the 1.8 naturally aspirated models down so opted against it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingSlow View Post
    Not sure how the free flow will respond with a RIVA Waterbox. I meant to say freeflow in my post above and will update it. I was told somewhere that the RIVA waterbox would slow the 1.8 naturally aspirated models down so opted against it.
    The two skis we built were nearly identical the one with the riva waterbox and rear exit was .2mph faster the last time we went out and ran them side by side. With that being said I doubt there was any difference in speed with the waterbed or not. On the N/A motor i'd say its about sound unless you're turning some kind of crazy rpm but i'd advise against that as well. Sweet spot seems to be 7,800-8,000.
    Last edited by Saum700p; 02-19-2020 at 08:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information