Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question VX 2012 bogging down, lagging, lacking acceleration off the mark - help request

I use my ski for tow surfing and it wont accelerate, react quick enough when you initially accelerate, it bogs down, lags, lacks the pickup. When the ski is really under load, eg turning with two people on it from a dead stop, it lags, bogs down - once it is up and going it's fine.

The ski is a VX 2012, it has had the stock impeller replaced, serviced regularly, has good top speed, cavitates easily in the surf which is an issue, and doesn't have the bottom end or the pickup I need when I call on the ski.

Could it be something to do with the fuel delivery? Is the cavitation an indicator of an issue?

I realise that these ski's are not high performance, but we use them as they are economical and reliable. It runs smoothly, flys on the flatwater and has the expected top speed, even with two people on it - nothing seems out of the ordinary - good top end - no grunt.

Several friends of mine have earlier models eg 2008, 2006 VX's and they have more grunt down low and when we use their ski's we don't have this issue. Was something changed between this time.

It cavitates more than their ski's as well, even though the prop was replaced - this was done as the standard one had too much clearance.

When I purchased the ski it had 60 hours on it, it has 230 now.

Everything else about the ski is great, I have had it for a couple years.

The ski is a VX 2012, it has had the stock impeller replaced, serviced regularly, has good top speed. It cavitated and had no balls when I got it - that is why I changed the impeller.

Also took out the air filter to try and get more air into it quicker

Cheers for any help or suggestions

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like the prop housing may be damaged... That ski shouldn't cavitate at all.

Looked ok when I pulled it all apart, no gouges or obvious wear. From what I have googled the housing can take a lot of hours before they fail

In saying that I am here to learn, so if I am missing something please post away

get a solas prop someone with a vx will haft to chime in to give you what pitch you'll need. itll help u with the cavitation but not the bog

Already changed the prop, still cavitates

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    So you have 170 hours on the "new" prop?

Be close to that. Even when I first changed it, it still cavitated and bogged down when you flatten it to turn or to get somewhere quick, the gap between the impeller and the tunnel is ok, the impeller had a couple marks when i checked it but nothing that would cause this. Have just replaced all the bearings and seals in the pump - nothing has changed.

Maybe fuel issue? Going to have to book it in with the local ski guru I think

I have a friend who has 600 plus hours on his vx and still has the original prop

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    Sounds like the prop housing may be damaged... That ski shouldn't cavitate at all.
    Why would a damaged prop housing cause it the engine to bog? OP, is it revving up but going anyhere or does the engine not rev up in these situations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information